The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by HerrimanCoder, Jul 4, 2014.

1. HerrimanCoder

HerrimanCoder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been using cPanel on shared/hosted servers for years, but I have just today gotten my first VPS with GoDaddy. The simple task "adding a domain", which I have done numerous times successfully on my BlueHost shared account, I absolutely cannot get to work in my Godaddy VPS.

I have spent 2 hours on the phone with Godaddy tech support. Apparently they don't know how to map an IP address to a domain, and I don't know linux/cpanel/whm well enough to know what's going on.

First, I have a domain hosted with Godaddy, I'll call it xyz.com. Next, I have a VPS account with Godaddy. So I go into my cpanel, and as I have done many times, I click "Addon Domains". I enter my domain info and enter a folder where my website files will go. But when I click save I get this error:

"Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver."

My WHM setup is pretty much 100% generic/default. My cpanel is all generic default. The nameservers for my domain in godaddy point at default godaddy nameservers: NS45.DOMAINCONTROL.COM, NS46.DOMAINCONTROL.COM.

I tried clicking on the Godaddy "DNS Zone File" tab and changed the A record to point at my VPS dedicated IP. Previously the IP was pointed at my Bluehost account. I'm trying to move my various domains and website files (1 at a time) over to my new VPS from BlueHost. So now the nameservers for my xyz.com domain are pointed at godaddy nameservers and the IP in DNS Zone File is pointed at my VPS IP address. My WHM setup is nearly all generic/default.

I could sure use a little advice on how to get cpanel to accept this add-on domain. I have done this so many times, always successfully, on a shared server. I am baffled and stuck now, wondering if I need to do something different in WHM to get this simple task to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: The domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associate

Hello :)

This is the problem. Try modifying the name servers at your registrar to the name servers that you created for this VPS.

Thank you.