The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The frustration of nameservers being down

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jobokoth, Aug 18, 2003.

1. jobokoth

jobokoth Member

Hi guys

I don't know what to do, after 2 weeks of strugling to setup my nameservers when i go to dnsreport, it says my nameservers are down. I have registered the nameservers at my domain registrar. Is there a sample zone file so that I see what actually someone puts in the DNS->Edit Zone File?

I intend to setup my nameservers as:

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
    NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

You are making a fundamental error , you dont need to edit dns zones in WHM (generally) this should be automatic on creating an account. Do you have root access to the server if so your nameservers are created way back there, if you are a reseller then you rely on the host to set IPs for your nameservers. 2 weeks something is wrong > care to elaborate some more and you may get some help

3. jobokoth

jobokoth Member

Hi

Yes, I have root access to the server, so I was able to assign the nameserver IPs to the name servers. I get the following error with dnsreport.com
    A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding.

Is there a fundamental problem I have overlooked?

Thanks

Job

4. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

sounds like either the IPs you are using for NS are duds , try a ping and tracert on each one , (i had a problem with some IPs like) or you have some errors in your NS,bind, name.config files etc ( put a ticket in with cpanel or get a techie to take a look , you should be able to get this sorted )
    good luck

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would verify the following:

IPs do resolve - should show Apache test page if not being used by an account
    domain name resolves - also verify if dedicated/shared IP is being used
    # cat /etc/nameserverips - make sure IPs you "think" are being used for NS actually are

If the above all checks out then DNS for domain name with problems should show as using NS1.domain.com. This depends though on how you setup the NSs on your Server, to be used. That's where the problem could be.

6. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes type your IP in a web browser, and see what happens. Ping your IP and see what happens. Also make sure to setup your name server resolver setup, and make sure that the number one spot is 127.0.0.1 and then the ip of secondary is number two. In edit setup, make sure that the FQDN of NS1 and NS2 are in the right spot, and that you are not using a master resolver, or a slave resolver for that matter, and make sure to hit the button to add an A entry for the Name Servers and add one for the Host name while you are at it. Some times after a cpanel update you need to reenter things.