The host appears to be an open proxy.

andistancu

Mar 11, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

My server got blacklisted by Symantec. When I check the reason, it sais : The host appears to be an open proxy.
How can I fix it in CPanel/WHM ?

Thank you,
Andi Stancu

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Were any additional details provided on why it detects an open proxy? For instance, is it because certain ports are open, or does it use a particular method of making that determination?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Per their FAQ page:

Q: What is an open proxy?
A: An open proxy is a computer that allows e-mail to be sent from arbitrary users (or machines). Modern mail hosts only allow mail to be delivered locally to their own users or transferred remotely from their own authenticated users. Open proxies are often old or improperly configured servers, but they can also be compromised personal computers. Open proxies can occur on both personal computers and UNIX systems.
SMTP authentication is required by default with cPanel, so authentication is required unless you have manually enabled "Antirelayd" in "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager". That being said, you could have a PHP script uploaded to an account that's used for sending email. After you investigate the matter, you can request they delist you through their form:

IP Reputation Investigation

Thank you.

andistancu

Mar 11, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. In the beginning I thought it's a server settings, rather then a previous action who triggered the blacklist.

Thank you for your help.

Andi Stancu