The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The how tos and why tos of WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Dec 16, 2003.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

Hi all,

While the documentation of the How to do something is explained in the WHM documentation, I believe it lack the portion that explain WHY you would need to include/exclude or even configure specific items.

I'm specifically relating to the DNS functions:

A entry
    DNS zone
    MX entry
    Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding

Also under Server Setup:

Modify Resolver Configuration

Tweak Settings:

Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers (ie domain transfers) [This can be a major security problem. If you must have it enabled, be sure to not allow users to park common internet domains.]

Can someone please explain that in english?
    Perhaps an example of how this would occur or what to prevent?

Also, why does Hostname appear like it can be modified both from?

Server Setup -->Change Hostname
    Server Setup -->Edit Setup

I'm running:
    WHM 8.5.1 cPanel 8.5.3-S3
    RedHat - WHM X v2.1.1

The disclaimer under What is WebHost Manager is really not helping. IMHO cPanel should attempt to answer most of the questions and related terms used in the WHM within WHM.

"Note: This help file assumes that you have a good working knowledge of the Linux Operating System and computer and networking procedures. Refer to the following sites if you need more information about the terms or functions used in this help file.."

The links offered are not related to cPanel or WHM. They are explaining lots of great stuff (which you are encouraged NOT to do .. such as upgrading you PHP or other outside the cPanel distribution).

Also, I'm lacking a diagram which can be of great use if made available: A diagram that shows the steps in a flow-chart or other mean of how to setup a server using the cPanel and show where each component is used.

Manager/User friendly is the phrase that I lack within the system.

I think it would be beneficial to cPanel support to create such a documentation/diagrams and other that would enhance me to understand what each one of these features (with specific examples) does as this is sure to cut on the number of tickets they are probably recieving just for setup help.

Just my 2 cents.

-Alon.

2. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I second this....... Documentation should be created extensivly from the manufactuar of a product. So far only cpanel customers have been able to provide documentation for cpanel/WHM. Although i think cpanel/whm is a really great product as it saved me hours of configuring my server.. i really would like more explanations on the features it provides....in the WHM documentation it provides a list of scripts u can use in /scripts/ such as /scripts/fixeverything and much more... though some of them can be described solely on the name such as /scripts/FIXEVERYTHING others cannot... and theres no description saying what each one does........ however it does say.. "not used anymore" next to some things... which i don't understand da purpose.. cuz if its not used no more.. then it shouldn't be listed no more lol ;).

But keep up the good work cpanel.. i'm just looking forward to some more documentation like commands that can be used with cpanel using SHELL and etc.. ..

Thanks.

3. kaosweaver

kaosweaver Registered

I tend to agree, documentation which states:

Enter the current hostname of your server in the Hostname field.

Why? That would be great to know, also an example would be great to see (although the edit Hostname provides some, I'm still not sure what to put there)