The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The If/When/How of PHP5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nurseryboy, Oct 28, 2005.

1. nurseryboy

nurseryboy Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been wondering this for a while, and figured I'd ask the guys who would know ;)

My question comes in 3 parts:

1. If there will be a switch to PHP5?
    2. When will it be?
    3. How will it happen?

These questions are geared towards the hosting community in general. I'm not thinking that one day we'll get a notice in WHM saying, "use PHP5 now!" or anything. I just want to know what the general community by-in-large is doing.

I've been thinking about this, because it seems like we're in a little dilemma of sorts. The way I see it, it's almost like moving to (for example) hydrogen for cars. It makes sense, but rebuilding or retrofitting all the gas stations is quite an undertaking, and you leave the people without the hydrogen cars up the proverbial creek. It seems to be the same way for moving to PHP5. It's a good thing, but doing so seems to take some "messing" with, and chances are, you'll leave those with incompatible scripts at the mercy of PHP error messages.

So, my question(s) remain - if/when/how?

Are you guys already using PHP5 and I just missed something? If so, how did you do it? Did you install it along PHP4? If so, at what point will you remove PHP4? Will it eventually be phased-out of CPanel? What do you do about customers with incompatible scripts? (I doubt all of them know how to upgrade their programs to be compatible.)

LOL. So many questions. I guess I'm just looking to understand what the overall game plan is. I understand that each host is different and has different agendas, but what's the overall community doing?

Thanks for any insight, comments, and general discussion that may come from this.

Matthew

2. CapCrash

CapCrash Registered

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Yep, I've followed the quoted thread and have PHP4 and PHP5 (both CGI) running side-by-side.

This has been the case for about the past two months and, as yet, I haven't noticed any issues.

4. MeGaMASTER

MeGaMASTER Well-Known Member

I'm currently running PHP 5.0.5 on my servers and has found no problem of compatibility with PHP4 scripts. If you want to install PHP5 as an Apache module I would recommend you installing it manually from source as sometime installing it from WHM will not work.