The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The maximum each domain can send out per hour"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by torwill, Mar 10, 2004.

1. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have set this option "The maximum each domain can send out per hour" in WHM to 240 per hour.

When some of my users having forums with more than 240 members trying to send out mails to all his/her members, there are a lot of returned mails. Say the user has 360 members, the returned mails are 120.

So, just wondering, with this option set, will the returned 120 mails be resent by the server automatically at the next hour? or they are all gone?

Thank you.

2. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Unless you have a problem with someone sending out mass amounts of e-mails I would turn that feature off.

And I don't think that they will send, unless they are in your mail queue. In which case adventually you will have mail backed up for days if start's queueing that many messages.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, they're lost for good. The server does not try to deliver them.

However, I would not advocate turning the feature off. It's a very valuable one in stopping compromised sites from being used for spamming (esp. through PHP/CGI scripts). I would recommend increasing the limit until users stop complaining, as discussed in another thread on this issue.

If you have user problems with it at 240, increase it to 480 and so on. I've done this recently on one of our servers and has to be a lot better than suddenly finding your server has send out 10,000 spam emails and your NOC has switched your server off.