The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Required Domain Dilema

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manson, Apr 23, 2006.

1. manson

manson Registered

I am trying to test out new forum boards on an account before I switch my site over to my new cpanel location, but it seems like in order to have an account you need a valid domain and can't just use the IP so I use one of my domains in order to have the account working but whenever I try to log on to whatever forum Im testing out, it tries to go to that domain when I just want to be able to use it's IP address in the settings as opposed to a valid domain.

So if I install phpbb for example, it installs to www.domain.com/phpbb when I want it to install to http://xx.xx.xx.x/phpbb. I only use the domain name because in order to have the account, it needs a valid domain.

Does that make sense?

I want to have everything setup before I change the DNS to point to my new cpanel location

I want to not be required to use a domain and just that accounts assigned static IP address.

How can i do this? Just use the IP in settings so when installing addons, it doesnt install to domain.com/whatever but to 166.x.x.x/whatever

ive tried putting ip in domain name but it wont accept it, localhost wont work either.

sorry if its a dumb Q but i couldnt find in search

2. Beansprout

Beansprout Active Member

Edit your PC's hosts file to force it to that server.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I think - open in Notepad :)

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

Just add:

Code:
    yourIP yourdomain
    to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and this will cause yourdomain to resolve to yourIP for your machine only.

Just remember to remove the entry once everything is sorted out!

4. manson

manson Registered

My current domain (which has my site on it) is being hosted here at my home on a MAC.

The new place I want to setup before I move the DNS to point my current domain is on a Linux hosted cpanel at another location.

What I want to do is setup my "new" cpanel site and after it's all setup, then change DNS to point to my current domain but in order to set it up, the cpanel hosted site requires a domain but I just want an IP if that's possible. I want to avoid any downtime or "under construction" time.

I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks for all the input regardless.

:)

#4 manson, Apr 24, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  5. manson

manson Registered

Can anybody help me?

pretty much what i want to do is setup my new website before i move the dns to point to it.

How can i do this when a domain is required in cpanel for an account (website)
    and localhost will not work.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would assume that for phpBB the domain is configured in a config file for that app somewhere. You're going to need to find that location and change it to the domains IP address (so long as it's not a shared IP) and then you can try it. Otherwise, your only option is going to be to do as suggested, find a local method of redirecting your DNS lookups which is simple on Windows (as above) - don't know how to do it on a Mac, though should be easy to find out.