Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The security token is missing from your request

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by Kadeim, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Kadeim

Kadeim Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ok, I am new to cpanel, but when I go to either cpanel or webmail login page I can get the message "The security token is missing from your request."

I would like to know where this message is located, so that I can change what it says. My clients are always calling me when they see this message, and I have to stop doing more important things to explain (convince) that this is not a message about their security certificate being hacked or in some other way, a false/fake certificate.

I have seen and read through a number of threads about this, yet have not found a solution, other than to turn off tokens, which is not a good idea.

All I would like to do is change the wording!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Try this, login to cPanel and then close that tab in your browser without logging out of cPanel. Next, open a new tab and go back to the cPanel login page to see this message. Now, login to cPanel once again. Top right corner of cPanel, use the logout link to properly logout, this time. Close tab. Open new tab and go back to cPanel login page and note there is no message there this time.

I don't think you can edit that message, and you can't disable tokens.

The easy answer, IMHO, is to tell them to properly logout from WebHost Manager or cPanel.

3. Kadeim

Kadeim Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    That is the problem with much of what happens today - they don't stand up, they take the easy way.

As far as I am concerned, having the ability to make needed changes are more important.

When you are dealing with clients that are computer illiterate, let alone not even www savvy, and they see a message that looks/sounds like there is a problem with the security, they look at you with a look of distrust. Having to take more time to explain things is not what I call good relations, nor does it make the product worthy of any good recommendation.

There should be a config file with the messages, so that they could be modified to fit your clientele. Being a retired OS programmer, something need to be hard coded, but things like this is not a good software engineering practice.

I will continue waiting and watching, to see if there is a real answer to this problem. If not, then I will need to find something else and steer away from cPanel. After all they claim "With our first-class support and rich feature set," and if this can't be remedied, then their statement if a bold face lie.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Or, for guidance. Explaining that they should logout properly is good advice and good relations for an unaware user.

You could clone and edit the language file to fit your needs I'm sure.
    WebHost Manager »Locales »Edit a Locale »Locale Editor

Please feel free to open a ticket directly to cPanel Technical Support and take them for a spin. I'm quite sure you'll be pleased with cPanel's Support Staff, they're the best in the industry.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Kadeim

The previous response from Infopro regarding the locale editor is correct. You can edit this phrase via:

"WHM Home » Locales » Edit a Locale » Locale Editor - Bulk Mode"

Use your browser to search "The security token is missing from your request" within the page, and then edit the entry to the message of your preference.

Thanks!

6. Andova Begarin

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am adding a reply as this thread, though several months old, makes the top of searching for cpanel and that message.

Of the things I have read as the solution, the one that actually worked for me (once) was deleting the host/cpanel cookies, then logging back it. That worked for me.

When I looked at the cookies I saw nearly 20 or so cPanel cookies, each pair with a different version number! (Can't post them as I did not copy them before deleting.) cPanel needs to check if/how they clean up cookies for each new version (a good hosting company will update cPanel all the time, I imagine.)

But, today, this error is back. To reproduce, delete cookies, login, logout, close and re-open browser...

I login - all OK. The I click on "Latest Visitors", and bam!, logged off with "The security token is missing from your request."

At my wit's end with this, though, only choice is to continue to try even more variations of access, etc. Oh yeah, using Firefox. Will have to try Chrome/Edge etc. And Firefox might need updating...

NOTE: The near top search results is a page on a website - Removed - about this which is just plain wrong in its assessment.

#6 Andova Begarin, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
  7. Andova Begarin

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Update: The problem I mentioned just went away! First, I logged back in and clicked "File Manager", and it opens in another window just fine. So I opened "Visitors" manually in another window and it worked fine.

Now, plain clicking on "Visitors" works fine.

This just may be a Web Browser issue! UGH! Can't really say. Moral? Delete cookies, clear sessions, cache, etc. Try differing sequences, keep track of it all in a logical manner... I guess...

8. Andova Begarin

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Now I am totally disillusioned. I was just using cPanel for about 20 minutes managing a website, do many "managy" things, and then was suddenly kicked out with "The security token is missing from your request."

I was using Firefox 47.0.1. My next test is to update Firefox to the latest. If the error happens again, I will switch to a different browser...

Other than this problem, cPanel is great.

9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Are you using any third-party services such as CloudFlare? Also, are you accessing cPanel via the proxy subdomain (e.g. cpanel.domain.tld)? You may want to report this to your web hosting provider if you do not have root access to the system so they can take a closer look.

Thank you.

10. Andova Begarin

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    No, CloudFlare, no Proxy... But, With other Browsers the problem never occurs! Only happens, for me, with Firefox! Even lastest version 54...

Thank You

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are you opening multiple tabs when doing this?