The service “clamd” appears to be down.

akhilesh10

Registered
Mar 1, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
(I am receiving below emails, more than 150 emails received in last 20 hours)

Service Name clamd
Service Status failed ⛔
Notification The service “clamd” appears to be down.
Service Check Method The system’s command to check or to restart this service failed.
Number of Restart Attempts 12
Service Check Raw Output (XID 2escmk) The “clamd” service is down.

The subprocess “/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_clamd” reported error number 255 when it ended.
Startup Log No startup log
Memory Information
Used 2.5 GB
Available 3.22 GB
Installed 5.71 GB
Load Information 22.36 20.88 20.88
Uptime 3 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes, and 11 seconds
IOStat Information avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle 75.83 0.01 19.06 1.19 0.07 3.85 Device: tps Blk_read/s Blk_wrtn/s Blk_read Blk_wrtn vda 512.01 22369.19 10211.45 5970121380 2725338032

I checked my "Server Information" page under cPanel and found 3 services are failed, "clamd", "cpanel-dovecot-solr", "Server Load". Don't know what to do with these.

I don't have much knowledge of cPanel or WHM. I contacted my hosting support. They take much time to reply and after contacting them they don't have much information on how to solve. Except for telling me " how to check usage memory in VPS"

Last edited by a moderator:

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Your server load is very high. I would run top and see where all that load is coming from. Could be an attack or a poorly coded web site or any number of different possibilities.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello @akhilesh10,

Do you continue to receive the service failure notifications, or has the service since resumed? If the service has resumed, then I concur with @GOT that it's likely related to the high load average. Check out the resource below for information on troubleshooting high load averages:

Tutorial - Troubleshooting high server loads on Linux servers

Thank you.
Hi @cPanelMichael

We are constantly getting this issue as well. I've run a restart command thinking that it might help but it gave an error as well....

Service Error
(XID stdj58) The âclamdâ

Startup Log
LibClamAV Error: cli_pcre_parse: PCRE compilation failed at offset 20: unrecognized character after (?<
LibClamAV Error: cli_pcre_build: failed to build pcre regex
ERROR: Database initialization error: Malformed database

clamd has failed. Contact your system administrator if the service does not automagically recover.

Any input on this? And it's funny that it actually says "automagically" on it lol

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @whipworks,

It's possible this relates to internal case CPANEL-26379. This case is open to report an issue where the default timeout value for starting the clamd service is set too low for the number of signatures. Can you open a support ticket and reference CPANEL-26379 so we can confirm if the issue on your system relates to this case? You can post the ticket number here and I'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.

whipworks

Aug 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello @whipworks,

It's possible this relates to internal case CPANEL-26379. This case is open to report an issue where the default timeout value for starting the clamd service is set too low for the number of signatures. Can you open a support ticket and reference CPANEL-26379 so we can confirm if the issue on your system relates to this case? You can post the ticket number here and I'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.

Reactions: cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

To update, it looks like the reported issue was unrelated to internal case CPANEL-26379. Instead, the culprit was the use of CentOS 5 (currently EOL). Do you need any assistance or advice about migrating the server to CentOS 7?

Thank you.