Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED The service cphulkd appears to be down

Discussion in 'Security' started by Ryan Hartwick, Apr 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ryan Hartwick

Ryan Hartwick Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Everyone,

First time posting in these forums. We're getting the following message on a daily basis it seems. Normally a message follows immediately afterwards that the service has recovered. I'm not a Cpanel expert but I've tried looking through the logs but I'm not finding anything that tells me what's going on. This could just be because I don't know what I'm looking for though.

Time of the message seems to vary, normally the late evening or early morning:

Code:
    The service “cphulkd” appears to be down.

Server <hiding this>
    Primary IP Address <hiding this>
    Service Name cphulkd
    Service Status failed [IMG]
    Notification The service “cphulkd” appears to be down.
    Service Check Method The system’s command to check or to restart this service failed.
    Number of Restart Attempts 1
    Service Check Raw Output (XID muvqw6) The “cphulkd” service is down.

The subprocess “/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_cphulkd” reported error number 3 when it ended.
    Startup Log Apr 06 00:15:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: Starting cPanel brute force detector services...
    Apr 06 00:15:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: PID file /var/run/cphulkd_processor.pid not readable (yet?) after start.
    Apr 06 00:15:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: Started cPanel brute force detector services.
    Apr 06 01:40:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: cphulkd.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=14/ALRM
    Apr 06 01:40:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: Unit cphulkd.service entered failed state.
    Apr 06 01:40:02 <hiding this> systemd[1]: cphulkd.service failed.
    Log Messages The system could not provide log messages for “cphulkd” because it failed to read all of the potential log files with the following errors: Error while attempting to read “/var/log/messages”: “Empty File”, Error while attempting to read “/var/log/secure”: “Empty File”, Error while attempting to read “/var/log/maillog”: “Empty File”
    Memory Information
    Used 2.66 GB
    Available 14.96 GB
    Installed 16 GB
    Load Information 0.08 0.02 0.01
    Uptime 9 days, 14 hours, 41 minutes, and 31 seconds
    Top Processes
    PID Owner CPU % Memory % Command
    8401 dovecot 0.15 0.02 dovecot/auth
    3403 root 0.08 0.63 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/perl/528/bin/perl -T -w /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/spamd --max-spare=1 --max-children=3 --allowed-ips=127.0.0.1,::1 --pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid --listen=5
    1255 cpanelsolr 0.07 1.83 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0/bin/java -server -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=4 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:ConcGCThreads=4 -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+CMSScavengeBeforeRemark -XX:PretenureSizeThreshold=64m -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=50 -XX:CMSMaxAbortablePrecleanTime=6000 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -XX:+PrintGCApplicationStoppedTime -Xloggc:/home/cpanelsolr/server/logs/solr_gc.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=9 -XX:GCLogFileSize=20M -Dsolr.log.dir=/home/cpanelsolr/server/logs -Djetty.port=8984 -DSTOP.PORT=7984 -Dhost=127.0.0.1 -Duser.timezone=UTC -Djetty.home=/home/cpanelsolr/server -Dsolr.solr.home=/home/cpanelsolr/server/solr -Dsolr.install.dir=/home/cpanelsolr -Xss256k -Dsolr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime=3000 -Dsolr.log.muteconsole -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=/home/cpanelsolr/bin/oom_solr.sh 8984 /home/cpanelsolr/server/logs -jar start.jar --module=http
    516 mysql 0.05 0.54 /usr/sbin/mysqld
    3815 root 0.04 0.61 spamd child

The chkservd process attempts to connect to “127.0.0.1:579” in order to validate that this service is functioning. If you blocked connections with iptables or the “Host Access Control” interface in WHM, this failure may be a false positive.

To resolve this issue, either open the firewall to allow connections as the root user to “127.0.0.1:579” or disable checks for this service in WHM’s “Service Manager” interface with the “Configure Monitor Settings” link below.

Configure Monitor Settings:
    <hiding this>

Configure chkservd:
    <hiding this>

Disable HTML notifications:
    <hiding this>

The system generated this notice on Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 5:45:24 AM UTC.

“Service failures (ChkServd)” notifications are currently configured to have an importance of “High”. You can change the importance or disable this type of notification in WHM’s Contact Manager at:
    <hiding this>

Do not reply to this automated message. 

#1 Ryan Hartwick, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 cPanelMichael, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  3. Ryan Hartwick

Ryan Hartwick Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Michael!

I'll give that a try and report back my findings.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  4. Ryan Hartwick

Ryan Hartwick Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd update my findings after a week or so of monitoring and this appears to have been fixed. A big thanks for your assistance Michael on figuring this one out. My faith in user forums has been restored :)

cPanelMichael likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Ryan,

I'm glad to see the workaround from the linked thread helped. Thanks for letting us know!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...