The service “nameserver” appears to be down.

Usman_

Registered
Jun 4, 2018
Kuala Lumpur
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi please help, i keep receiving such emails frequently within the last few hours. I tried searching around and realized most complains have different issues related to the nameserver failing. Here is an email I received today. please advice. Thank You

Service Name nameserver
Service Status failed
Notification The service “nameserver” appears to be down.
Service Check Method The system’s command to check or to restart this service failed.
Number of Restart Attempts 163
Service Check Raw Output The system cannot update the /var/cpanel/sysinfo.config file. at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/GenSysInfo.pm line 119.
ERROR: The system cannot update the /var/cpanel/sysinfo.config file because it cannot determine your distribution's major version.
Run the following command: rpm -qf --queryformat '%{VERSION}\n' /etc/redhat-release
Output other than the numbers 6 or 7 indicates a problem with the RPM database.
You can rebuild the RPM database using WHM’s (https://server.example.com:2087/scripts/dialog?dialog=rebuildrpmdb) interface (Home » Software » Rebuild RPM Database).

The subprocess “/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_named” reported error number 1 when it ended.
Memory Information
Used 1.12 GB
Available 844 MB
Installed 1.94 GB
Load Information 0.03 0.05 0.05
Uptime 4 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes, and 54 seconds
IOStat Information avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle 1.57 0.10 0.95 3.20 0.05 94.13 Device: tps kB_read/s kB_wrtn/s kB_read kB_wrtn xvdap1 12.73 210.87 72.81 86514945 29871820
Top Processes
PID
Owner CPU% Memory % Command
25217 root 0.36 1.40 lfd - sleeping
4128 root 0.26 1.58 dovecot/lmtp
2204 cpanelconnecttrack 0.22 0.24 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/sbin/p0f -i any -u cpanelconnecttrack -d -s /var/cpanel/userhomes/cpanelconnecttrack/p0f.socket less 400 and not dst port 80 and not dst port 443 and tcp[13] & 8==0
2713 mysql 0.14 10.68 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --plugin-dir=/usr/lib64/mysql/plugin --user=mysql --log-error=/var/lib/mysql/mysql_error.log --open-files-limit=10000 --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.pid --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --port=3306
19353 nobody 0.09 2.00 litespeed (lshttpd)

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @Usman_

It would seem there's an issue getting information regarding the system:

Code:
ERROR: The system cannot update the /var/cpanel/sysinfo.config file because it cannot determine your distribution's major version.
Run the following command: [CODE]rpm -qf --queryformat '%{VERSION}\n' /etc/redhat-release
Output other than the numbers 6 or 7 indicates a problem with the RPM database.[/CODE]

Can you run the following:

Code:
rpm -qf --queryformat '%{VERSION}\n' /etc/redhat-release
And let me know what the output is?

joshstovall

Mar 15, 2020
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPanelLauren

I am having the same issue. I am getting an email every 10 minutes that says this:

Server
myserver.secureserver.net
Primary IP Address xxx.xx.xxx.xxx
Service Name nameserver
Service Status failed ⛔
Notification The service “nameserver” appears to be down.
Service Check Method The system’s command to check or to restart this service failed.
Service Check Raw Output (XID tknbm6) The “pdns” service is down.
The subprocess “/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_named” reported error number 255 when it ended.

I used your suggested code
Code:
rpm -qf --queryformat '%{VERSION}\n' /etc/redhat-release
And it returns the number 6.

How do I fix this?