The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SSL cert will expire in less than 30 days

Discussion in 'Security' started by nitecap, Dec 10, 2012.

1. nitecap

nitecap Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I got 4 emails with each telling me that a certificate will expire. they were for dovecot, ftp,cpanel, and exim. These emails stated I needed to install new certificates using WHM's manage service SSL interface. Each mail provided a link. When clicking these links my security software pops a warning saying that the site does not have valid certificates itself ( I mean the supposed WHM page the links point to ). The mails look legit but normally cpanel email just says from cpanel while these say from cpanel@my server.servername.com

The funny thing is I never had any SSL certificates and when I check for them using the cpanel SSL tool it says nonme exist. I then wondered if this is something my host does outside of my cpanel control.

It just seems strange to me because I never installed certs and the links in the emails were bad. I am wondering if this is some kind of scam since I am a total newb and have no experience with Cpanel. Also - my WHM has no facility for certificates as the mail suggests.

Thanks

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Login to WHM as root >> manage service SSLs >> Make sure your SSLs are valid for all the services; if no update them from WHM ( if you use Self signed cert; else renew your valid SSL ) and then you are good to go.

3. nitecap

nitecap Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I think My host does not give root access since my WHM panel is very limited. My cpanel has a SSL utility but it shows no certificates are instaled. Maybe I will have to have the host do this but my question remains- why am I getting emails warning certificates are expiring if they are not showing up on cpanel?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    They're for the server, not your cPanel account. If you have no access to this area, you'll need to contact your Hosting Provider.

5. marsm

marsm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I received these four emails today - I have root access and WHM access - how do I get these new certificates?

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This was actually already answered in the second post in this thread. You can reset the certificates in the WebHost Manager in Home » Service Configuration » Manage Service SSL Certificates. This is documented here:

Manage Service SSL Certificates

You do not actually need to do anything. If you do nothing at all, the certificates will automatically reset. The e-mail notification is just a courtesy reminder.

These certificates have nothing at all to do with your Web sites; they are only used for the services listed. By default, they are self-signed, which means they are generated on the server. The reason that the notice is sent out, is in case you have purchased a certificate from a certificate authority, in order to give you time to renew it. If a self-signed certificate is acceptable to you, you can do absolutely nothing and there will not be a problem, because cPanel will automatically generate and install new self-signed certificates.

The only difference between a self-signed certificate and one that you purchase from a certificate authority, is that a certificate you purchase can be used to verify the identity of the site or host, while a self-signed certificate cannot. They are both perfectly valid for encrypting data, which is their main purpose.

7. ultralion

ultralion Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well very useful. Today i received also that e-mails but service ssl are self signed.
    So you mean i could do NOTHING? Cpanel will renew them itself?
    Because i've seen there's also the option "reset certificate". so i was thinking this procedure was not automatic.
    Can you confirm this?

#7 ultralion, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Sys Admin

Sys Admin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Even if it was a self-signed cert initially created by cPanel, When expired you will need to click on that reset button and cpanel will create a new self-signed cert for you.

9. ultralion

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well i see.
    So i don't have any risk waiting until certificate expire? (i mean some service stop to work) Or is better i reset them before that day?

10. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Per Jared in the earlier response:

You are welcome to reset them early if you prefer.

Thank you.

11. ultralion

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many thanks for your reply! So i'll wait!
    Last question. You know exactly how many day before cpanel do this in automatic? Because i'm getting this emails every 2/3 days

12. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the email notifications are concerning to you, it's suitable to reset the certificates manually so you stop getting the alerts. The certificates will reset automatically the day of expiry.

Thank you.

13. ultralion

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Many thanks again :) Now all is clear!

14. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am having same situation where i am being notified about my thawt signed service ssl certificate expiring soon. I have already renewed my SSL certificate from my provider side. But the server still shows the old expiry date. What do I need to do in this case? Reset and re-install?

This is not a self-signed certificate, I have a verified ssl certificate from Thawte, Inc.

Thank you.

15. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You just need to install the new certificate. You do not need to reset it - resetting it installs a self-signed certificate. You have already done half of the work, which is renewing it at the certificate authority, so now you just need to install it. cPanel will automatically replace the old certificate with the new when you install the new one.

16. fidividi

fidividi Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you. Just installed the new one from the "install" form down under "Manage Service SSL Certificates" and all went good.

BR,
    Ali.

17. cPanelJared

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for letting us know it worked smoothly. :)