The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The story of a dunce... aka, Exim and Pure-FTPD issues...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HorburySchool, May 27, 2009.

1. HorburySchool

HorburySchool Active Member

Wotcha folks... I'm a dunce. Here's why... Upon running 'freebsd-update fetch' on my FreeBSD 7.0 box, I received the following message:

WARNING: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p11 HAS PASSED ITS END-OF-LIFE DATE.
    Any security issues discovered after Fri May 1 01:00:00 BST 2009
    will not have been corrected.

So, like a good sysadmin I figured "best get it upgraded then" so went down the windy path to update it to FreeBSD 7.2

This all went well... til it performed the final reboot, and lo n' behold, cPanel/WHM thoroughly broken.

I poked about a bit, and eventually raised a ticket... upon which was duly informed "cPanel/WHM only supports upto FreeBSD7.0"

Insert expletives here.

Here endeth the first lesson: always check cPanel system requirements / OS compatibility list before considering upgrading your OS...

Heyho, such is life, easily resolved by firing 'freebsd-update rollback' at the server, which I did, and sure enough everything sprang back into life...

BUT...

I've been left with 2 irritating errors that keep cropping up:

Code:
    pure-ftpd[49362]: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to identify the local socket: Socket is not connected
    and, from Exim...
    Code:
    Cannot lock /var/spool/exim/input/Z/1M9EoZ-000IRq-3F-D (22): Invalid argument
    1M3mM6-000Afy-84 Spool file is locked (another process is handling this message)
    I'm guessing the freeBSD rollback didn't go quite so smoothly as I thought, and it's not rolled back the ports...

Any suggestions??

2. HorburySchool

HorburySchool Active Member

/scripts/eximup --force

and switch FTP Server to ProFTPd.

All problems solved (or bodged, depending how you look at it!)