SOLVED The system failed to lock the file

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi

Can someone please assist with this issue?

I terminated an account that was no longer in use and received this error message in WHM:

API failure: The system failed to lock the file “/etc/mailips” because of an error: Permission denied

Logged in as root
CLOUDLINUX 6.8 x86_64 xenpv – ssd
WHM 60.0 (build 36)

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Do you have this option set to on in WHM > Exim Configuration Manager

"Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections"

Also what is the output of:

Code:
# ls -l /etc/mailips

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi thanks for your help;

"Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections": Off (default)

[email protected][~]# ls -l /etc/mailips
-rw-r----- 1 root mail 19 Nov 9 2015 /etc/mailips

The server is currently set to send mails from a specific IP address as we had spam issues with a previous IP.

Send mail from account’s dedicated IP address: off (default)

Last edited:

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
That's why, you have it chattr set to +i

If you run

Code:
# chattr -i /etc/mailips
this will fix it.

Someone would have purposely set it to +i though, this stops the file from being modified/deleted so you may want to check with whomever else has root access to your server to see why they set that but if you have

"Reference /etc/mailips for outgoing SMTP connections": Off (default)

then /etc/mailips is doing nothing for you other than causing that error to be thrown.

Reactions: cPanelMichael

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Perfect :)

Feel free to create and terminate an account to test, but all should be good now.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Well - it seems the issue has not gone away - I am now getting this message when I upgraded an account:

(XID 8rks47) The system failed to lock the file “/etc/mailips” because of an error: Operation not permitted at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Transaction/File/Base.pm line 132.
Cpanel::Transaction::File::Base::new("Cpanel::Transaction::File::Raw", "path", "/etc/mailips", "permissions", 416, "ownership", ARRAY(0x5b8a318)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 429
Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE::_create_transaction(Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE=HASH(0x58436b0), HASH(0x58746e0)) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains/CORE.pm line 120
Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE::update(Cpanel::Userdomains::CORE=HASH(0x58436b0), "force", 0) called at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Userdomains.pm line 25
Cpanel::Userdomains::updateuserdomains() called at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Accounts.pm line 610
Whostmgr::Accounts::_upacct("user", "clientabc", "pkg", "Standard") called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr2.pl line 6430
main::upacct() called at whostmgr/bin/whostmgr2.pl line 1042

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

You may have a third-party plugin or script installed that's automatically changing the attributes on that file. Check to see if the immutable attribute was added back to that file:

Code:
stat /etc/mailips
lsattr /etc/mailips
Thank you.