The “tailwatchd” service is disabled

yogiks

Registered
Dec 2, 2015
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I had disabled the 'tailwatchd" service through Service manager in WHM and now I'm trying to enable it back but unable to do it. When I try to do it through Service Manager, I get "Saving Changes to tailwatchd (enabled)" message as shown in the uploaded screenshot.

And when I try to restart tailwatchd with /scripts/restartsrv_tailwatchd it outputs this message in terminal - "The “tailwatchd” service is disabled"

How do I enable the "tailwatchd" back from the terminal? I've got shell access to the server.

Thank you!

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
You can enable the service by going to WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager and enabling the very top checkbox for Tailwatchd and ensuring the Tailwatch drivers are enabled.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

You can stop tailwatchd with the following:

/scripts/restartsrv_tailwatchd --stop

While it shouldn't be necessary, to actually kill any tailwatchd processes I'd do the following:

To find the PID:
Code:
[[email protected] ~]# ps faux |grep tailwatch[d]
root     10783  0.0  0.3  68836 12184 ?        S    Jan07   1:12 tailwatchd
kill the process by PID with
Code:
kill -9 10783

Angshuman

Registered
Jan 27, 2020
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Thank you Lauren, for your response.

The code you that you have provided, works.

However, now I am getting the message, "The tailwatchd service is disabled"

Kindly help me resolve the same, using SSH.

Thank you

Hello,

You can stop tailwatchd with the following:

While it shouldn't be necessary, to actually kill any tailwatchd processes I'd do the following:

To find the PID:
Code:
[[email protected] ~]# ps faux |grep tailwatch[d]
root     10783  0.0  0.3  68836 12184 ?        S    Jan07   1:12 tailwatchd
kill the process by PID with
Code:
kill -9 10783

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

Thank you Lauren, for your response.

The code you that you have provided, works.

However, now I am getting the message, "The tailwatchd service is disabled"

Kindly help me resolve the same, using SSH.

Thank you
You'd get this if tailwatchd is disabled. You can see if it's enabled/disabled by going to WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager -> tailwatchd
It's the very first checkbox.

Angshuman

Registered
Jan 27, 2020
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You'd get this if tailwatchd is disabled. You can see if it's enabled/disabled by going to WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager -> tailwatchd
It's the very first checkbox.

Noted with Thanks.

However I am facing a few issues, while trying to do the same as mentioned below:

1. Everytime I try to enable tailwatchd using WHM, the window with the Message "Saving Changes to tailwatchd(enabled)" comes up, but never completes the process. It stays in that same window with the same message for ever.

2. Also, I see that all my services are down in server status, even after successfully restarting them from SSH

3. While trying to fix this entire issue, I have upgraded to MariaDB from MySQL as my databases were not loading up and I suppose I have ended up losing all my precious database tables. Appreciate with sinceremost gratitude for helping to resolve and recover my old database

Screenshots are attached for your easy reference.

Regards & Thanks

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
1. Everytime I try to enable tailwatchd using WHM, the window with the Message "Saving Changes to tailwatchd(enabled)" comes up, but never completes the process. It stays in that same window with the same message for ever.
What comes up in the tailwatch logs when this occurs? You can view them here: /usr/local/cpanel/logs/tailwatchd_log

Do either of the following files exist? /etc/tailwatchddisable or /etc/tailwatchdisable

2. Also, I see that all my services are down in server status, even after successfully restarting them from SSH
They are indeed being reported as being down, which I believe may be related to the tailwatchd issue.

3. While trying to fix this entire issue, I have upgraded to MariaDB from MySQL as my databases were not loading up and I suppose I have ended up losing all my precious database tables. Appreciate with sinceremost gratitude for helping to resolve and recover my old database
I'm not sure how upgrading to MariaDB would be related to any of this? What is the issue with them after the upgrade? Did you take backups?