The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Cpanel Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rnh, Apr 20, 2003.

?

What's more important to you?

1. Lots of fancy features so that the end user gets overwhelmed with options and has no idea what to do

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. FEATURES THAT ACTUALLY WORK

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

Alright, I have it for you. The one ultimate feature that is going to make cPanel the best control panel EVER.

NO MORE FEATURES UNTIL YOU GET THE EXISTING ONES WORKING!!!!!!!

2. X-Istencedotcom

X-Istencedotcom Well-Known Member

yeah, unless you count the countless bugs as features.

3. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

yes but it has too many that don't work

[rant]Remove all features, make 1 work, work on the next one. Got one OS working perfectly and bug free? ok now start on the next one.

Not add 1000 features and support for every OS, then work on getting it working while 1000s of people are paying for software that they expect to work that doesn't[/rant]

4. X-Istencedotcom

i have always been an opensource kinda guy, how about make this opensource. I know a lot of admins know the basic of Perl coding and if anything is wrong they can investigate a bit themselves and point out where the bug MIGHT be.

5. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

IF only open source was a bit more marketable.

Noone likes working for free :(

6. X-Istencedotcom

i do, i do. You can market opensource. Do like red hat, have a small free version that anyone can have, and then have like a pro version with better support and more features and programs and whatnot.

7. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

from what I've heard they don't do too good on the support end right now...

but I bet that they would if that was their source of income!

8. perfectsquare

perfectsquare Active Member

Your best bet is to be cautious with upgrades.

I never upgrade to any release that isn't "RELEASE", and I wait at least a week or so after a release is offered before I upgrade WHM/CPanel on my servers.

Let the anxious people be the guinea pigs. :D

9. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

If you think that you are safe thinking like that maybe you should think again. So that means that you are one of those who could have been hit with the guestbook vuln, including the formmail vuln, not that the upgrade fixed anything, but my point being that staying behind versions may not always be your best bet.

10. perfectsquare

perfectsquare Active Member

Nope. If you know what you are doing, you can manually fix these bugs on your server yourself until a CPanel Release version 'pans out'. :)

11. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

The best feature in cpanel would be a way to easily control what features are available in the control panels for each hosting plan package. This way you can select what level of features for each package. My biggest problem is updating themes for all my packages. If I give all the advanced features to my cheaper package clients no matter what they all toy with the databases and the bb scripts. This blows up my box and gives no incentive for my clients to buy a more expensive package. I get tons of support "what's this button do?" and all I want to say is "leave it alone ..don't touch it"

This all can be done quite easily but would be so nice to build it in. Don't get me wrong ... I hate alabastards!!!! but in the almost 3 years I have been with cpanel now,.... the most single feature I miss is a way to add/remove features on the fly to my themes. Also if a certain feature was let's say "busted" .. we could disable it until it was fixed ..or if it was always going to be more risky of a feature ..we can simply never use it. My 2 cents ..again.

#11 rpmws, Apr 20, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  12. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

I agree rpmws

there's too much crap in cpanel I want to be able to turn it all off!

13. RawServe

RawServe Member

i want to be able to give different clients different addon scripts (like give buissinees clients oscommerce and personal clients phpnuke and invisionboard

14. mpierre

mpierre Well-Known Member

Indeed...

I'd love to be able to remove features on the fly, such as shopping carts etc...

The first thing EVERY client does is install every single addon, but they never remove them !

I've got around 50 unused BBS running...

Plus 40 chat rooms...

15. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

well then why not just write your own control panel and save yourself $75 per month per server?

16. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

This is what I'm saying the problem is. cPanel keeps adding on crap and it has too much stuff, things don't work and it's overwhelming trying to figure out what's going on.

I can install OS Commerce in about a minute.

cp ~/oscommerce.zip /home/user/public_html
    unzip /home/user/public_html
    chmod 666 config.php

http://www.mydomain.com/install.php

rm -rf install*
    chmod 755 config.php

I don't need a control panel to do that for me.

I need a control panel where users can control their e-mail, change their passwords, I need it to automatically set up sites & users in chrooted environments, and that's it.

I like how cpanel sets it up so that you can add more sites within one users directory so that 1 user is all that's needed to access all of your sites and files.

However I HATE how cPanel is not chrooted! I share my server with a couple of people and I can't say that I trust them quite that much to let them run on a non chrooted environment with me.

and plus they're kinda stupid as end users tend to be so all the unneeded features in cPanel confuse the hell out of them!

17. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

don't get it

Why if Cpanel is so bad are you using it?

Try looking at the bright side of life a litle bit :)

I think it would be good to stop adding to cpanel and maybe take care of a few minor bugs and stuff, but basicly I think WHM is a realy good solution. Thats why I use it .. If not I would purchase something else. I think you shuld! :)

18. Final-Solution

Final-Solution Well-Known Member

I love CPanel . . i'm a linux newbie so it gets stuff done that i'm too newbieish to do myself . . i just wish they'de take some of those thousands of dollars a month and get a real support team to answer questions . . even if only 1,000 servers were running cpanel, at $40 each (estimate between internal and external license costs) thats $40,000 a month . . how many phone jockies could you get for a fraction of that? They get paid like $7/hr! Instead we gotta send in a support request, have it ignored for a week then closed.

#1 most requested feature : some support

19. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Well billing have becaome much better last months, bills are corect and orderly, they have send out some nice blancesheets and so one. Also they are wery pleasant to deal with. Before I think it was dificult to talk to billing.

SO I am waiting for the same thing to happen with support. Anyway the always answars my tikets quite fast, and in most problems they did realy help.

Same way as I sometimes gives my clients an answar, they do, but not always the answar wanted :)

20. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

I agree 90% with rnh ;) .

I wish to have new features , but especially my dream is to have a cpanel which works fine , robust and safe.

for me...

1) new features... 10% important

2) cpanel stable and works fine plus
    max protection from hackers 90% important