The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ThemeMod Theme Changer

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by rbmatt, Apr 10, 2003.

1. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

I have just finished a script I call ThemeMod. It allows the client to change their theme to any one that the host decides to allow. I believe I have fully secured this, and it works with only one small flaw. This flaw would be present in any script that changes the RS= value, not just mine. dgbaker described this problem:
    Usually it works perfectly for me, but the framed themes mess with it a little.
    Normally I would give a script like this away for free, but this is way to complex for that. Anyone interested please contact me, I will let you install it for free. If you decide to keep it, we can discuss pricing. I wish a few people will contact me just to test its security.

Features:
    Does not require putting the root password in a textfile- encrypted or not
    root can change anyone's theme from the command line
    You can fully customize the theme change page for each theme
    It comes with an nifty autoinstaller that automatically detects what themes are installed and copies the theme files into their directories.
    Users can change their theme from either the skin or shell

2. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

As I know cpanel has some kind of cache of RS value, this is make sense because every call to images inside the theme will don't need to looking for RS value again. I've tried to force user logout and login again, but it's not work. I know it have to have someway to clear RS value, but still not able to find one. If you have a chance looking into /usr/local/cpanel/cpaneld.

3. marius

marius Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

rbmatt any chance in providing us a little how to ? i've been searching for a way to lete users change between 3 themes for days now and .. no luck.

4. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

I've scrapped this project because of the caching and security implications you have to beware of for such a simple task.

5. marius

marius Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

so there is no way to have this option enabled for our users?
    all i wanna change is the css style. 3 themes means 3 css styles.

6. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

If you just want to change CSS style but keep the same "files" thats pretty easy to do, depending on how your themes are setup.
    If each file loads the .css by direct filename, this will require editing every file- or writing a script to do it. cPanel allows you to set variables, so you can call $variable.css

Another solution would actually be to create a new folder called /themes/ and within that folder just put all three themes. Then users could select which one they want and have all 3 available.

7. marius

marius Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

thanks rbmatt.

do you know where i can find a how to regardin the variables? or.. where shoud i look for such things?

8. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

Actually there is a CSS changer that stores a user's preference using a cookie.
    That might just work for you if all you want to do is change the CSS file.