The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Then did cPanel scared you last time?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gvard, Sep 18, 2007.

1. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Greetings from Greece,

When did cPanel did something to scare your guts off? I remember one time several months ago at about 03:00AM when suddenly I received an SMS from Alertra (which is my monitoring service) saying that in one of our servers the monitored website has been hacked (that is, the index file size was changed). In about 5 minutes before I booted up my computer I received about a dozen of these messages, each one for every cPanel server we have!

No need to say that my heart was going to explode; one thing to restore 1 hacked server and another thing to restore 10! When I saw what has happened I laughed my @ss off...

WHAT HAPPENED: We've setup Alertra to monitor the main shared IP for changes, so Alertra always checks the default "There is no website configured at this address" page. No need to say that I think some point around a major update cPanel decided to change the appearance of this default page, so Alertra sent me an email that the page has been changed, something that could happen only in an attack (since the page never changes from me).:p

No need to say that I couldn't go back to sleep and I played online games until the next morning:D