The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theplanet.com Best or Worst ?!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noorolhoda, Jan 16, 2005.

1. noorolhoda

noorolhoda Active Member

Hello
    It is just what happened for us, nothing else !!!
    you should decide about my question your self!
    what I can say is :
    If you want get server from theplanet.com or other their partners or If you have got server from them and you want to continue your business with them look after , you must have other backup or mirror servers with an other data center :eek:
    their services is fine , their support is good but they arent,t safe !!!!!!!!!
    each time they may send below message to you and terminate your services without telling the reason or explain what happened !!!!
    I current days some of my friend have received the same message from them !!!
    they shoked us!!
    --------------------------------
    Service Termination Notice
    Existing Details:
    ------------------------------------------

(fcastle-01/13/05-18:11):
    Customer,

As per our Terms of Services (http://www.servermatrix.com/terms.html)
    your services will be terminated 48 hours after the opening of this
    ticket. Please take this time to backup and copy any pertinant
    information you may have on your server(s).

This is non-negotiable and is final.

- ServerMatrix reserves the right to discontinue service to any
    subscriber it deems, in its sole discretion, violates any condition of
    service including the Acceptable Use Policy, Data Center Rules and
    Procedures, and Terms of Services.

Thanks.
    --------------------------------------
    (c19559noor-01/14/05-04:15):
    Dear Sir
    Can I know the reason?
    also we have get some of our servers from theplqanet.com
    is this Termination include thoase servers?
    Thanks
    ------------------------------------------

(rcarter-01/14/05-08:58):
    The termination will include any and all services you have with us.

We apologize for the inconvenience but unfortunately, this is all the information I can give you.

Thanks.

#1 noorolhoda, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  2. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

most probably a user of yours was hosting warez and/or spoofing an ebay or msn site. We have been pulled twice in the last couple of months for that sort of thing. They are just trying to run a business as well you realise, if they dont take action, they get sued, costing them even more money, time, and effort, while the person running the things that are against their TOS keeps operating them. If you were them what would you do?

Regards,
    Brent

3. alexisb

alexisb Active Member

I Think They Are Right

Hi, I'm with The Planet more than one year. We are always verifying our customers don't break their AUP or ours and we haven't had the problem mentioned here.

But I think that if they are terminating services like this, if it's included in their TOS or AUP, then it's ok, they have to protect their business from people hosting warez, spamming or breaking the rules in some other way.

We, as hosters, must be responsible enough to maintain our servers free of problematic customers who are not following our AUP.

Regards!

#3 alexisb, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  4. noorolhoda

noorolhoda Active Member

you don,t get my mean
    they could tell for example:

because you have done an unlawful usage on in this date ..... , we are going to terminate your service !!!!

I had 6 servers with them , I don,t know what happened :confused:
    also I have request for more informations but they don,t tell any thing :(
    I hope they don,t open the same ticket for you and shoke you like me :)

5. alexisb

alexisb Active Member

Oh I see

I get it. Of course, must be horrible to get terminated without knowing why or at least having the chance to fix the problem.

We try hard to have customers respecting our AUP, but truth is that some of them could make some damage before we detect them or maybe without knowing some script they installed is being exploited by outsiders. We keep vigilant and hope that we don't see a situation such as you describe.

Good luck.

6. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think theplanet has been totally unprofessional. They should have at least told you why your services were being cancelled. To basically say "it's a secret" is bizarre.

You're better off without them. You should see this as an opportunity to move your business to a more reliable and more communicative datacenter. I've had good experiences with Ev1servers, other people may recommend other datacenters.

7. noorolhoda

noorolhoda Active Member

thanks
    if any one know any reliable datacenter that they work with Iranian please list them here.
    :(

8. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

I would recommend liquidweb.com as a US supplier, great service and good pricing too.

The termination is completely out of order if they don't tell you what the issue is, how can you correct them? Its no place to be for hosting companies if this is the norm at The Planet.

I would consider claiming a refund if they don't provide adequate evidence of what was being done. Quite often innnocent bystanders are affected all too often.

Not saying you are an innocent bystander or otherwise, but you do need to know why you have been terminated - surely that is in their TOS that they have to notify you in the event of a problem.

Oh well, best of luck.

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

They do have the right to shut it down if it's being a threat to their business, but they definately should be telling you why, and unless it's real serious, they should have given you notice with time to correct the issue.

There's no way they can legally shut down the server without telling you why.

10. DigitalN

Scary stuff..

"Suspension and Cancellation

Company will use reasonable care in notifying the Customer and in resolving the problem in a method resulting in the least amount of service interference as reasonably possible. Company reserves the sole right to suspend service to any Customer located in our datacenter for violation of the AUP without notice. Company reserves the right to terminate service without notice for any violations of the AUP. "

http://www.servermatrix.com/aup.html

I don't think they have to notify you of anything, best to move to a better supplier.

11. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

There is a lot more to the story than being let on. You should stick to one thread or the other though, the one on the SM/TP boards is 3 pages now and a TP rep hasn't responded. No thread goes that long there without a staff member responding unless there is something else up.

12. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I don't believe that your statement is quite true... I'm quite sure I've seen rant/complain/whine threads go for several pages before SM stepped in with the other side of the story...

In any case, I'm putting my money on the theory that the issue is the Gov is leaning on TP/SM to stop providing service to Iranians, trade embargo and all that.

13. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

mthoodhosting.com, nice support. they use savvis (a very reliable datacentre) and i have had a very good experience with them so far.

Regards,
    Brent

14. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

or try fastservers.net , they have fantastic support and a very stable enviroment :)

15. DigitalN

I'm not sure that the poster can really depend upon hosting his business in the US, if the issue is indeed what it appears to be - a Trade embargo with Iran.

Perhaps looking into hosting in the UK, Canada or New Zealand even may be a better move, given the unpredicatability of politics in the present climate.

16. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

looks like the problem is taken care of ..good job theplanet!!! good to see some hosts doing the right thing when it needs to be done.

17. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sanctions/t11iran.pdf

I can't comment authoritatively, but to my knowledge US-based companies are not allowed to knowingly do business with anyone in Iran.

I used to work in the cash management area of a large US bank before working for cPanel, and they took OFAC very seriously (even before 9/11) and usually very secretly. It does not suprise me that The Planet would not be forthcoming about why this account was cancelled if it was for OFAC compliance reasons.

All of our distributors are required to verify that the licenses they are issuing are not knowingly going to the benefit of a customer that is specifically prohibited by OFAC sanctions.

18. gorilla

sound like the same what the US used to do with Cuba ! :rolleyes:

19. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Cuba is being used as the US terrorists home now hehe.

20. gorilla

yeah , how funny , if you dont like somebody nowadays you just need to label him a terrorist and that justifies to bullie them around or SQUASH them :rolleyes:
    anyway enough of politics , lets just get back to our geeky kingdom :D