Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED There is no registered backup in the directory

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by mtindor, May 14, 2018.

1. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On one server I manage, I use incremental backups and back up to a local hard drive. Since updating to WHM 70, I am seeing these warnings all the time at the top of the backup logfiles emailed to me after backups complete.

My backups start at 2:00 AM, and it is at the beginning of the logfile at 2:00 AM that I see these warnings.

info [backup] Pruning metadata for backup at /backup/2018-05-14
    warn [backup] There is no registered backup in the directory '/backup/2018-05-14/accounts' for the user 'user1' metadata
    warn [backup] There is no registered backup in the directory '/backup/2018-05-14/accounts' for the user 'user2' metadata

<repeat same message for every user on the system>

If I look in /backup/2018-05-14, the backups appear to be in there but there are no metadata files such as user1-=-meta , user2-=-meta , etc.

On other servers where I use "uncompressed" as the backup option rather than incremental, I do not see these warnings.

Any ideas?

M

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @mtindor,

Internal case CPANEL-20421 is open to disable the warnings about missing backup metadata, as there are often legitimate reasons why the metadata is missing (e.g. new servers where backups have not yet generated, data was manually moved). I'll update this thread once the case is published. You can safely ignore those warnings in the meantime.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, Michael. Although are you absolutely positive this can be ignored? On my servers running Uncompressed backups, I do not get those warnings and the metadata files such as user1-=-meta and user1-=-meta are written into the accounts directory, but on my server where I'm running Incremental backups I do get these warnings and no metadata files such as user1-=-meta and user1-=-meta are written to the accounts folder.

This server is not a new server and there are backups created daily on it (but without the metadata files).

Thanks,

Mike

4. millermulti

millermulti Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, For the past five days I have been receiving the following warning at the start of my cPanel backups. this warning occurs for every account on my system:

[2018-05-15 00:10:08 -0500] info [backup] Pruning metadata for backup at /backuppath/2018-05-15
    warn [backup] There is no registered backup in the directory '/backuppath/2018-05-15/accounts' for the user 'accountname' metadata
    [2018-05-15 00:10:10 -0500] info [backup] Creating metadata index for backup at /backuppath/2018-05-15

Is this something I should be concerned about? Any ideas on why this is happening? Backups do complete.

I am running 70.0.39.

Thanks!

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

To update, this is solved in cPanel & WHM version 70.0.41:

Fixed case CPANEL-20421: Don't warn about missing backup metadata.

This version is currently published to the CURRENT build tier, and should reach the RELEASE build tier soon.

Hi @mtindor,

In cPanel & WHM version 70, the metadata information for each account exists in the following directory:

/$backup/.meta/

You'd simply replace "$backup" with your configured backup directory (e.g. /backup). This is explained in more detail on the following document:

How to Manage Metadata Settings - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if any issues persist upon updating the server to version 70.0.41.

Thank you.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    cPanel & WHM version 70.0.41 is now published to the RELEASE build tier.

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you, Michael.

Mike

cPanelMichael likes this.