The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This directory is empty.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carlgale, Jan 5, 2011.

1. carlgale

carlgale Registered

Hi, Im new to cpanel and see to have run into an odd problem....

I have created an account in whm, added about 100 domains in the cpanel account for this domain and ssh'ed over lots of files, yet when I click on file manager in cpanel I get a message saying This directory is empty.

If I view in ftp I can see files and folders there but they are not showing in cpanel.

Anyone seen this before and how did you resolve it?

Thanks
    Carl

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Via FTP can you see who owns the files? You might have some sort of permissions problem here that your host can help you with.

3. carlgale

carlgale Registered

hi, thanks for the reply. I have logged into cpanel both as root and account owner and cannot see anything. With ftp I can see the files regardless of who I login as.

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You cannot log into cPanel as root. Did you mean you logged in via SSH? What do you see if you log in via SSH as root, cd to the account's public_html directory, and use the ls -alh command?

Also:

I am not exactly sure what you mean that you "ssh'ed" over the files. Did you use SCP? What is the exact method you used, and in what directory did you place the files on the destination server?

If you are the server administrator, you are welcome to submit a ticket and we would be happy to look at this for you.

5. ccgale

ccgale Registered

You can be logged in cpanel as root if you go into the cpanel via whm, which I did.

I moved the files from the over server to the new server using ssh and putty and put them all in the same directory as they were on the old server.

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is called using the "root override." What I meant in my post was that you cannot log into cPanel directly by entering the "root" username in a cPanel log-in screen. I apologize for the ambiguity.

Again I apologize, but this still does not tell me exactly the method that you used to transfer the files. Did you use the scp command, or the rsync command, or something else? "using ssh and putty" is vague; it would help to know the exact shell commands you used, including all arguments.

Without being able to see the server, what it sounds like is the files ended up in a different path from where you thought they should be, or have permissions or ownerships that do not allow you to view them using the cPanel File Manager. This could happen if the files are owned by root instead of by the cPanel account user, which could happen if permissions and ownerships were not preserved by whatever method you used to copy the files.

I recommend that you submit a ticket so that we may log into the server and investigate this for you. It is very difficult to speculate further about what may have happened without being able to see exactly what you are seeing, and allowing us to log in would be the most efficient way to do that.