The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoroughly confused

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jkrusick, Jan 5, 2004.

1. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Hi: Am a newbie in this area and because I can't get to the shell on the system, am confused how to do some things.
    1) Using Cpanel 6 on a website through "FreeHosting4Life" using a site address of "AstoriaWebDev.com". Am able to build an Html logon, but now want to use some .pl scripts and that's where the proverbial s__t hits the fan. Am not having too much luck getting help from the provider.

2) The paths are as follows:Perl : /usr/bin/perl which I assume would be entered on a script as #!usr/bin/perl - ROOT is /home/USERNAME/public_html where USERNAME is "jk4538". They also state "You may also find more path / host info at: http://www.AstoriaWevDev.com/cgi-bin/serverinfo.cgi". Sounds very straight forward, but when I try, I get an error message telling me that I don't have authorization for the cgi-bin directory. Don't know where to go from there as I've set up permissions, etc. for the cgi-bin but to no avail. Unless I can get to the cgi-bin directory, I'm completely dead in the water - Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get out of this dilema?

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

I cannot view any of the web link you posted above. Your cgi-bin will be /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin. This is auto created with your account when WHM sets you up. Verify that there is cgi-bin selected as yes in WHM. All scripts should run in the cgi-bin as Cpanel defaults that they must be. If you could provide some more info we can offer a little more assistance.

3. jkrusick

jkrusick Member

Hi: Thanks for looking at my post. Here's the info on the site and would appreciate you taking a look at it. Logon Name is " " and password is " " and can be accessed at "http://freehosting4life.com:2082/".

#3 jkrusick, Jan 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I suggest you remove the name and password from your post, change the password, and PM kris1351 about looking at it for you. You should never make that info public.

5. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    agreed. I understand that you are trusting everyone here, and that is both admirable, and slightly stupid. Not everyone here is here to help, and some people are only here for their own gain, although not many thankfully. Are you sure that the permissions are set correctly? I cant even get to your main website or index page.