The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Zone update not saving state?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stardotstar, Sep 17, 2009.

1. stardotstar

stardotstar Well-Known Member

I have tried to change the timezone specification from

./Australia/Canberra

to

Australia/Sydney

and when I do - I get:

Code:
    Timezone Set
    Local TimeZone has been set to Australia/Sydney 
    but upon returning to the server time page it still says:
    ./Australia/Canberra

Is this a permissions related thing?
    I can't find anything in the search on the forums.
    Will

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

Time Zone

Hello,

I am sorry to see you are having an issue. First, have your tried setting in via the WHM interface first? Please let me know if this is the case, if so we may need to look at this closer. If you would like you can also submit a ticket via the link at the bottom of this post.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry

3. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

What does /etc/localtime say? Is it a symlink to something else?

Thanks!

4. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

Hi, sorry to steal this thread - i am having the same issue in WHM. I change the timezone, sync the timezone and it tells me the time it is going to set to. when i return to the page, it's back as it was. /etc/localtime is a symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Greenwich

5. Starteck2002

Starteck2002 Member

My problem is that I am running cpanel on a VPS and the time on the node was wrong. SSH to the node and do the following:

Code:
    rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net
    hwclock --systohc
    You could add this as cronjob:

Code:
    10 * * * * rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net
    30 8 * * 0 hwclock --systohc
    Once you have done the above all should work in WHM :)

6. stardotstar

OK,

Firstly the operation was being done in whm.

Secondly:

/etc/localtime is a binary:

Code:
    root@jupiter [/home/archq/www/forums]# cat /etc/localtime 
    P��8�/�������߀��T���W�V�ͧ9pΠsχpp9�
    ���
       �
    ~���^���>�x��Xf��8H
                                ��*!d�*ǁ�F��c��(��E�
    �y���� Y~�!�΀"B�#i�$"}%I�%��')�'��)	�)��*�s+�ʀ,ҏ�-x��.�q�/X0�S�1]Z�2r5�3=<�4R�5�61��6��88���9���:�Ā;��<��=��>��?��@e�A���BE�Cc��D.��EC~�FKG#`�G��H��IׄJ�uK�fL�WM�HN�9Ow*PpU�Q`F�RP7�S@(�T0�U 
    �V��V���W�݀X�΀YϿ�Z���[��\��]��^��_x�`h�aX�bHsc8dd(Ue*Ffq�gb�g�S�h�D�i�5�j�&�k��l�m���n���opۀpjqY�rI�s9�t)�u�v	�v��w� xـy�qz�b{���|�~�}�o�~�`�rQ���������ESTTZif2����s<�����N�������� ������T�������P��8�/����p��߀�Πs�������p9�
    ���
       �
    ~���^���>�x��Xf��8H
                                ��*!d�*ǁ�F��c��(��E�
    �y���� Y~�!�΀"B�#i�$"}%I�%��')�'��)	�)��*�s+�ʀ,ҏ�-x��.�q�/X0�S�1]Z�2r5�3=<�4R�5�61��6��88���9���:�Ā;��<��=��>��?��@e�A���BE�Cc��D.��EC~�FKG#`�G��H��IׄJ�uK�fL�WM�HN�9Ow*PpU�Q`F�RP7�S@(�T0�U 
    �V��V���W�݀X�΀YϿ�Z���[��\��]��^��_x�`h�aX�bHsc8dd(Ue*Ffq�gb�g�S�h�D�i�5�j�&�k��l�m���n���opۀpjqY�rI�s9�t)�u�v	�v��w� xـy�qz�b{���|�~�}�o�~�`�rQ�����������LMTEST
    EST-10EST,M10.1.0,M4.1.0/3
    root@jupiter [/home/archq/www/forums]# ls -l /etc/localtime 
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2183 Sep 17 21:39 /etc/localtime

and is not linked to anything

but looking at that last est-10 it is probably the one that is showing up in whm - canberra is in the same timezone.

BTW I have done

Code:
    root@jupiter [/home/archq/www/forums]# rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net
    root@jupiter [/home/archq/www/forums]# hwclock --systohc

makes no difference.

the time is correct - it just points to an inability for the whm panel to actually effect the changes it reports it has done - ad this is a bit of a worry - that's why i thought permissions.

7. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

What OS and arch is this on? Also are you on a vps or virtual machine?

Thanks!

8. eUK-Patrick

eUK-Patrick Registered

Try changing it to

./posix/Australia/NSW (display same time as for Sydney)

OR

Try through SSH to the server ,

[root@server ~]# cd /usr/share/zoneinfo
    [root@server zoneinfo]# cp /etc/localtime /etc/localtime-bak
    [root@server zoneinfo]# cp Australia/Sydney /etc/localtime
    cp: overwrite `/etc/localtime'? y
    [root@accord zoneinfo]# date
    Sat Sep 19 09:50:00 EST 2009

9. stardotstar

@eUK-Patrick - thanks - that is the way I would have tackled it on a manually managed server - I was cautious of changing configs in the background on whm - but this has not worked.

Code:
    root@jupiter [/etc]# cp localtime localtime.bak
    root@jupiter [/etc]# cp -f /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney /etc/localtime
    cp: overwrite `/etc/localtime'? y
    root@jupiter [/etc]# 

The system still reports EST/+10 since they are the correct time zone and yet the wmh still shows Canberra

same behavior as before - says it updates but does not reflect next time in that option

@cpanelerice - this is a personally owned physical server directly linked to the internet via the main eth0 IP which is the main IP of the whm config. It is ix86 and CentOS5

10. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Try setting the wrong zone somewhere else ....

It may be that your OS has the wrong files loaded.

I have seen time zone files misnamed sometimes and give you the wrong zone even though you think you are loading the correct zone per the filename.

Try to load a totally different zone somewhere else in the world and see if that update takes. If so then your zone changing is likely working properly and you could possibly just have something wrong with that particular zone file.

You should be able to download and install the correct file easy enough from any of the many distributions archive sites out there or from your master OS image. You might want to 'diff' the current zone file against the previous zone file you were using as it might reveal itself to be the same file and that would explain why your zone doesn't appear to be updating.

#10 Spiral, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  11. stardotstar

Thank you for the informative suggestions!
    I have opened a ticket for this issue - and will wait before doing anything else for now.
    I'll post back once cP have had a look
    Will

12. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Well I can tell you straight up front, this one isn't a Cpanel / WHM issue but I am sure that they would probably help you with this matter as would I given this a fairly simple matter that should only take a few seconds to track down! ;)

Anyway though, and for clarification, it should probably be mentioned that this issue really has more to do with your operating system and whether your server is a physical hardware based server or using a virtualized technology such as VPS or Cloud servers than anything else. The former, VPS Servers, incidentally has issues on some certain platforms accessing hardware and unable to do such things as adjust the system clock.

By the way, I'm available right now if you want a more immediate hand with that. ;)

#12 Spiral, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  13. stardotstar

This is why I am uncertain if its base permissions or something on the server.
    As I said above:
    @cpanelerice - this is a personally owned physical server directly linked to the internet via the main eth0 IP which is the main IP of the whm config. It is ix86 and CentOS5

The server is a perfectly clean CentOS5 base install, without any further work cP installed.

The only thing extra is migrating sites using scp.

Thank you for the offer of server based support - I looked at your site last night when I was getting desperate for help with the DNS and outages I was experiencing when doing the migration.

I may take you up on a package of support but I am someone who needs to know how things work as much as that they are :)

I tend to try and learn the hard way all too often but I have years of experience with linux (mainly gentoo and debian) so things should settle down once I am more used to the whm "way".

Thanks again and I appreciate your suggestions as well as offer of personal support.
    Will

14. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Yes I saw this which is why I mentioned the possibility of a misnamed file as I have seen this happen even on base OS installs.

That statement alone is pretty frightening :rolleyes:

(If you are as advanced in Linux as expect, you probably understand what I really meant by that statement. If not, nevermind! *EVIL GRIN*)

Thanks for that but I was actually talking about just simply giving you a hand with your current timezone issue and not making a bid for marketing. ;)
    And your point is what exactly? :D

Anyone who has spent any significant time around me could probably tell you that there seems to be an inevitable tendency to learn an enormous amount about servers, Cpanel, and Linux spending more than a few minutes with me and that includes people I would consider fellow "experts" who have later commented to me often thanking me for how much they learned simply form hanging around me or having me help them with various issues along the way.

FYI: Talking about learning Cpanel and related, realy wouldn't hurt to read my posts that I have posted here over the years.

On the contrary. Understanding how the system works behind the interface is an enormous advantage and you will find you cannot get away from it if you want to really be able to manage the server and handle issues.

Anyway, I have more than 33 years experience in this evil world myself. ;)

15. stardotstar

OK, thanks for your thoughtful replies.

I have tried to accomplish too much work in too short a time and am getting bogged down now that the variables have multiplied due to inexperience in many many areas of Linux admin. I don't profess to be an expert but I am certainly capable of grasping things from first principals given enough time and opportunity. Some over ambitious and under experienced work I have undertaken on my two servers right now has left me a bit time poor and perhaps not taking the usual time to fully understand some of the things I have had to do.

When I say that the server was completely clean and nothing done except cp/whm I really mean that I didn't go ahead and install a lot of tools or other services and configure things - I understood that the cpanel way was to let the software installer work from as clean a slate as possible. There was absolutely no intention of leaving the server unsecured, unattended or in any way unadministered from an OS pov but getting the fundamentals right of a WHM install was what I was trying to achieve at first, not a personally prepared and secured server that could also immediately accept a whm install. I did the initial build and install on a private IP using a trial and then was recommended by cP/WHM staff to leave it installed and transfer the license when it was released rather than do a fresh build. Whether this was wise in my case or not will never be known.

Anyway it is up, on a public IP and 90% there I feel. I am relying on the good folks like yourself and others in the communities as well as the support team to help me through the last 10%.

Since then I have been working through the menus and documentation, reading and researching here and piecing the system together.

A lot of the concerns I have are to do with the complex interactions of systems that I appreciate better on my Gentoo box in another context - postfix vs exim but courier common, shorewall vs csf, proftpd vs pureftp etc.

Almost everything I have learned is either self taught or from searching and researching in forums from the expertise and generosity of people like you so please don't take my posts as ungrateful or in any way dismissive.

I was not insinuating that you were soliciting either by the way - but I can see that I will certainly need assistance of a much higher level of professional expertise if I am to get my new infrastructure into a stable state from which to begin learning the finer points of whm and cpanel oriented administration.

Only that I have engaged the WHM software on a new server to grow my business in a way that is more efficient but not to obviate the need to thoroughly understand the exact nature of what is going on and how. I am unfamiliar with gui based management of all these services and in the context of multiple accounts and layers of permissions, quotas and other automation it is indeed daunting. Having a comprehensive software suit like whm/cpanel can feel insulating but I am determined to approach the project exactly as you describe in your penultimate paragraph.

I will most certainly continue to read your threads and posts and humbly thank you for taking the time to so thoroughly respond to my replies.

I will learn much from anything you post and suggest and take the personal attitude that one can never be truly an expert if one has stopped learning.

Will

16. stardotstar

backed it up and then did a sym link, restarted all daemons and it reflects correctly - I have not tried to change it again from whm...

Code:
    root@jupiter [~]# ls -l /etc/localtime
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Sep 21 21:17 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney