Timed out [Last data sent: RCPT TO: ] in dnsreport.com

gallot

Oct 24, 2003
Hello everyone,

Just yesterday I noticed this report in dnsreport.com (attached image) which was not the case or present previously. I did not change any setting in my server nor did tweaks in Exim. What confuses me is that mails seems to work fine as far as testing to my test domain name in the server is concerned. However, I worry if this does affects other clients, or affects mail routing with other mail server or domains.

Ani idea how we can tweak this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

tweakservers

Mar 30, 2006
is hard to tell as the result you are getting in Dnsreport may shows that it is having difficulty by the DNSreport server to connect to your server, this may also happen on other mail server connecting to yours and may possibly due to network issues between the remote and your server. Usually remote mail server will queue the mails and retry several times before bouncing back to the sender if it fails to connect to yours at the first time.

gallot

Oct 24, 2003
In my part, i was able to find the culprit on this.

I am using the Exim RBL filter from webhostgear:

http://www.webhostgear.com/175.html

and after doing some tests, I found out that it is due to relays.ordb.org filter. I remove relays.ordb.org from the list and dnsreport show fine now. i have a hunch something must have been changed with relays.ordb.org or something.

prodigious

Feb 7, 2005
gallot -

I owe you a beer. An entire six pack. You just saved the day over here - I had the same exact problem and clients were getting frustrated with the time outs.

Now all is well again - for now....

Thanks again!

dougS

Apr 15, 2003
New Orleans, LA
Ordb has been shut down and I believe this was causing me the same problem.

The following is a quote available at this link:

http://nerd.dk/archives/2006/12/index.html#e2006-12-19T00_55_59.txt
Shutdown of ORDB

Today we decided to shut down ORDB. It was a choice between a lot of hard work or performing the actual shutdown we had been talking about for a year.

The zone is still live, but empty, so people have a chance to remove it from their config before we shut it down completely.

I don't belive the shutdown will mean much to the general spam landscape, open relays aren't really a prime spam target anymore.
-Doug

I owe you a beer. An entire six pack. You just saved the day over here - I had the same exact problem and clients were getting frustrated with the time outs.

Now all is well again - for now....
My sentiments exactly... I came on this forum looking for a solution to something completely different, whilst simultaneously tearing my hair out over the timeouts...

So thanks!

Murtaza_t

Jan 24, 2005
Earth
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
One more example of the benefits to stay updated.

We are subscribed to confirserver blog and got the intimation long back that ordb.org is shutting down and hence it was removed immediately from our RBLs list.

Thanks to ConfigServer and Chirpy.