The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMDA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dwh, Oct 14, 2002.

1. dwh

dwh Member

I hear this http://tmda.net/index.html works great. Any chance of including it (it's free) in a future version of cpanel?

2. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

Sounds like more of a hassle than a blessing. From what that says, unless they're in a whitelist, they have to respond to an e-mail. What happens with those e-mails that will sometimes get sent through from services that always say &Do not reply to this message...&? And really, who's going to want to force everyone that e-mails them to send a reply back so their e-mail comes through? It's a neat idea, I just don't see it as a viable one to make anyone use.

3. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is there a way to make a black list for email servers server wide.

That would be great.

-Charles

4. dwh

dwh Member

I dunno, it's such a tough problem I am ready to give up. I know someone who uses this and he says it's awesome and has really licked the spam problem for him. I sent him an email and got back a reply to this thingie...which I did, but before even doing it he got back to me, so somehow the email came through...I still don't fully understand how it works but if a user is happy with it, which is more than I can say for any other system, makes me want to look at it. If I can spare a few brain cycles :p

5. DevilBear

DevilBear Member

Anyone had any luck with this? I've got it working for main users, but not for other accounts.

It actually is a blessing... and very clever, too. You can auto-whitelist addresses you send email to, and for those "do not reply" type messages you can use keyword or time-sensitive email addresses that are modifications of your normal email address.

Lots of people are using TMDA, and it's quite viable for them. I would love to have it work for our clients.

6. richy

richy Well-Known Member

What I would like, especially with my spam load, is "Trigger addresses". When an email is sent to such a "trigger address" (probably defined as an admin), it then blackholes ALL inbound connections from that IP address at the firewall level for 12-24hours. That way, at least it'll make a dent in the "dictionary attack" style spam runs I've been getting (i.e. lots of spam to addresses that never existed and never will - and usually it's the same addresses being hit over and over again).

Making SpamAssassin a bit more "user configurable" (either root WHM or User Cpanl) would be nice as well: I would love to be able to easily increase the "weighting" given to IP addresses listed in certain blacklists.