Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

/tmp 100% full - but uses only 63K of 95MB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stream, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

A strange thing happened to my /tmp partition today:

Code:
    root@tom [/tmp]# du -sch /tmp
    63K     /tmp
    63K     total

root@tom [/tmp]# df -h
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda6            1012M  624M  337M  65% /
    /dev/hda1              99M   47M   48M  50% /boot
    /dev/hda5              53G  4.7G   46G  10% /home
    none                  501M     0  501M   0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda7              95M   95M     0 100% /tmp
    /dev/hda2             9.9G  5.3G  4.2G  56% /usr
    /dev/hda3             6.9G  1.9G  4.7G  30% /var
    /dev/tmpMnt            95M   95M     0 100% /tmp
    /tmp                   95M   95M     0 100% /var/tmp
    For some reason it thinks the /tmp partition is full (hence mysql etc. not working) - but there are only 63K of files in there. Anyone got a solution for this?

I've allready tried remounting it, upgrading upcp and restarted the server...

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Check inodes?
    df -i

3. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

It may be that mysql is attempting to use /tmp. I had a similar issue before where a mysql process was apparently using /tmp although if I did an "ls -la /tmp" it didn't appear to be.

Solution was to have mysql write to a different temporary directory, which I created by adding:
    tmpdir=/home/mysql

in my.cnf; creating the mysql directory in /home/ and giving it mysql.mysql owner.group ownership; then restarting mysql.

Don't know if that's your issue, but the similarity appears to be there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Your explenation sounds right dafut.

One of my customers had a problem when removing some vBulletin addons causing the post-table to be unaccessible. After doing a repair on that table everything's been fine.

I should most probably change mysql's tmpdir though. Thanks for your input!

5. dafut

dafut Well-Known Member

That would make sense; I was dealing with a "large" table optimization, which kept failing. Since I've moved mysql temp to a less restricted (size-wise) directory, I've not had any problems.

Best to you, Stream.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just for the future - If a partition doesn't contain enough data to account for the df result, it's usually due to deleted files that are still open. You can check for those using lsof:

lsof /tmp | grep deleted

Which would probably have shown you the guilty MySQL temporary files. 95MB is a tad tiny for most servers which you should normally have at 1GB.

7. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Thanks chirpy!

Is there an easy way to increase the size of /tmp?

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You could use the /scripts/securetmp script to create a larger /tmp (virtual) partition which is actually a file in /usr. However, before doing that you would need to dismount the existing /tmp and stop it from remounting on boot. It might be a bit tricky, but you could get away with:

umount -l /tmp

Then edit /etc/fstab and look for the line with /tmp in it and comment it out (put a # at the beginning of the line).

Then run:

/scripts/securetmp

You'll then have a 512MB /tmp partition.

9. Vatoloco

Vatoloco Well-Known Member

What is the correct way to go about closing those deleted files?
    Code:
    # lsof /tmp | grep deleted
    mysqld  2509 mysql   88u   REG    8,6 950632448   21 /tmp/STwzJRVC (deleted)
    mysqld  2509 mysql  141u   REG    8,6    655360   22 /tmp/STnofBHG (deleted)
    My /tmp partition is only 1.1GB and I have a 3.5GB table in mysql I tried to optimize and it has been a running process for over 4 hours now so I don't think it is ever going to finish. I tried this before and ended up just having to restart mysql but then I lost the table. It was permanently "in use" so I just had to drop it and restore a backup.

Thanks for the information. I think this is what I'm going to have to do. I have a backup partition with plenty of free space so I'll try using that for the mysql tmpdir. Is there any downsides to doing it this way and not using the default /tmp location?