The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tmp directory on new server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckh, May 17, 2008.

1. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm going to be getting a new server soon and one of the requests the people ordering it is that the tmp directory be expandable instead of a fixed amount.

I hadn't heard this before and I guess it would be like having it in the /home directory where the directory could temporarily use all available drive space assigned to /home.

I'm looking for pro's/cons or any thoughts on this. Another option may be to use the second hard drive. Normally I'd just use it for backups, but, I could allocate a lot larger chunk to it, say 20 to 50 gigs, but, didn't know if putting it on the secondary drive could cause any problems either.

Any comments or suggestions on it would be welcome.

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Can you explain your reasoning as to why you want a /tmp of any great size? Are there a lot of applications being deployed on the server?

/tmp is typically a cause for concern for most admins as anyone can write to it. We recommend mounting /tmp on a seperate partition with nosetuid and noexec to prevent exploits from beingupload to and executed from /tmp

3. ckh

ckh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The server is going to be used for converting docs to pdf files using imagemagik and I believe magikwand. The developers wanted something that was expandable as a 1 gig tmp directory was quickly filling up with the conversion files and causing problems. There's going to be some rather large files that they are going to be converting.

4. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member