The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/tmp permissions have to be reset every day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShortSchoolBus, Oct 8, 2005.

1. ShortSchoolBus

ShortSchoolBus Registered

Everyday I have to chmod /tmp to 777 or sessions cannot be created and all of my websites die. Anyone know why this is happening and how it can be fixed? :confused:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's probably happening because you're using 777, you should always:

chmod 1777 /tmp

If it ever changes after that, then you have something on the server, either a cronjob or script running under root) changing it.

3. ShortSchoolBus

Apologies! I meant 1777. Makes no difference anyway because I end up with the same result. The host said it was a cPanel bug.

I haven't noticed any other posts on the same subject, so maybe someone is passing the buck. However, I didn't spend hours combing the forums, so maybe I'm wrong.

The only solution I have come up with so far is to create a new directory, chmod it to 1777, and edit the session path in php.ini to the new directory. "Solultion" may be the wrong word ... more like "workaround". We'll see if it actually works tonight.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Your host has got the wrong end of the stick as to the purpose of /scripts/securetmp. It's too easy to blame it on a cPanel bug - it isn't one and must be something misconfigued on the local server, but without seeing it it's very difficult to suggest where the problem might be.

5. ShortSchoolBus

In the WHM backup configuration, I found that the backup destination was set to /tmp. I have setup a new directory for the backup destination. I am thinking (hoping) that this will resolve the issue.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Having backup set to /tmp would definitely have caused problems with the ownership and/or permissions on the /tmp directory. Well done for spotting it :)