The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/tmp permissions, mysql, etc... what the...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by splicesite, Jul 30, 2006.

1. splicesite

splicesite Member

Hi, after reading the gazillions of posts about /tmp and mysql issues, I haven't been able to come up with a solution to these two likely related problems:

1. Not sure when this happened, but likely after an upcp, or possibly related to securetmp, now my /tmp directory has permissions reset to 755 at each boot. This caused sessions to stop working (couldn't write to tmp) and also mysql stopped starting at boot as well. I added a chmod 1777 /tmp to rc.sysinit as an attempt at a fix, why is this happening and is there a better way to correct it?

2. The ubiquitious mysql.sock issue. This started at the same time as the above. After boot (and chmodding /tmp to 1777 as described above), I can issue a service mysql start and everything is fine and mysql.sock is created normally. But no matter what I have tried, I cant get mysql to start at boot without having to manually start it. I even tried to start it after everything else at the end of rc.local with a sleep 15; /etc/init.d/mysql start - this seems like it would be equivalent to starting it manually but it doesnt work. In /var/log/mysqld.log, there are no errors, actually no trace of mysql even trying to start at boot. /var/log/boot.log shows the usual missing mysql.sock line when trying to start eximstats. I know everybody and his mother have asked about this, but I havent found any acceptable suggestions about how to get mysql to start properly in this situation.

A recent thread mentioned a problem with securetmp, and resolving the issue by placing the mysql start command after the securetmp (which is in rc.local as well), but seems like I tried that with the rc.local line I described above.

Intiuitively it initially seemed like the problem is with the permissions on /tmp, but the chmod i put in rc.sysinit should be made prior to anything else so guess its something else.

Help please! Surely there is an easy way to deal with this since a manual start of mysql is working fine. Sorry to propagate this issue yet another time in the forum, but its obviously an irritating one.

2. splicesite

splicesite Member

Ok, I am losing my mind here with this. I apologize for bumping the post but I wanted to relate that I really have tried the solutions others have found for these problems as described below. Mo matter what I do, I cannot get mysql to start at boot. It starts at the command line after boot just fine though!!! There are no errors in mysqld.log. How is this possible??

I uninstalled securetmp as described in http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=43810 (that did fix my problem of /tmp having permissions of 755 instead of 1777 at boot, but didn't allow mysql to start)

I followed all tips 1, 2 and 3 from Chirpy in http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=48301, put a start command for mysql in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, even tried putting another one after a delay

I tried the tip in http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=55389, changing the order of scripts on rc3.d

I tried to /scripts/mysqlup --force but that did nothing as I am already up to date

mysql is in chkconfig 2345 as it should be

the only error present at all is the error from eximstats trying to start but it can't because mysql hasnt started: <cat starteximstats: DBI connect('eximstats:localhost','eximstats',...) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at /usr/local/cpanel/bin/eximstats line 230>

What in tarnation is going on here. This really makes no sense. Any takers??

3. splicesite

splicesite Member

caca, it works now.

seems to be starting all the way at the end from the rc.local command now that I have uninstalled securetmp. But eximstats is starting before mysql thus eximstats wont start properly.

Well, at least the main problem is solved, now I need to figure the best way to have mysql start before eximstats (although, actually I dont really care if eximstats is working or not). The mysql start command in chkconfig still doesn't seem to be working and I'm still not sure what caused this problem to begin with?!

I'm hesitant to reinstall securetmp. Should I expect any similar problems using the manual secure /tmp setup described by Chirpy?

thanks forum!

4. NoAgendas

NoAgendas Guest

I face the same exact issue.

Maybe cpanel techs will get their heads together and provide support to the support tickets submitted to them (I am a direct license holder too)

#4 NoAgendas, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  5. NoAgendas

NoAgendas Guest

Where is that thread?