The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To modify /scripts/securetmp or not use it at all ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gupi, May 10, 2006.

1. gupi

gupi Well-Known Member

Having a week like hell, finally I've discovered that all my problems were generated by a too small /tmp, filling up to 100% and cascading to very high loads, ending with a painfully reboot.

To make a long story short: I want to have a bigger /tmp.

While I do not have a separate partition (yet), and knowing that latest versions of cpanel run /scripts/securetmp anyway, I have two scenarios:

- either modify the script from /scripts/securetmp to increase the size from 512M to my desired 2048M (is it ok like this ?);
    - either lock /scripts/securetmp (delete or make it read-only ?) and build a separate /tmp as I found in a lot of tutorials;

Both scenarios imply increased attention on /scripts/securetmp, especially after a cPanel update.

Which scenario would you propose ?

Thank you.

2. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only problem I can see with modifying the securetmp script is that it may be overwritten in the future without you realizing. Then again, once you run the script and tmp is created and mounted noexec you shouldn't need the script again anyway. :) Either way seems viable to me.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd simply modify /scripts/securetmp to create a larger file. That's not going anywhere then unless it's removed. If that happens you can repeat the procedure to recreate it.