The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Php 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by embsupafly, Dec 3, 2005.

1. embsupafly

embsupafly Active Member

We are currently running php 4.3.10 and would like to upgrade to php 5.x.x.

I have read the posts on how to run 4 and 5 side by side, but we really are not interested in doing this, we just want to use version 5.

My question is how do we determine if it will break certain php scripts/apps, such as oscommerce, fantastico as well as it's applications, WHMAutopilot, and some of our clients own custom php scripts.

For those of you who have already made the switch, did you encounter any problems? Did you give your users notice before making the change? If so, how long of a notice?

If we upgrade to 5 and we find that it breaks too much, is it easy to move back to version 4 without any difficulties?

2. mizzizzippi

mizzizzippi Guest

When I upgraded I too was very worried about it... I thought I would get all kinds of emails from clients letting me know their PHP scripts no longer worked. That didn't happen. A few people did email me and we were able to get them setup by upgrading their script(s) to a PHP5 version. If you do the upgrade and find out that it breaks too much, then you can roll it back to version 4.x.

3. dkz

dkz Well-Known Member

When I made the jump, I didn't have one problem or complaint! It was also on a busy, php intensive server.

4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can tell you AutoPilot works in PHP5, there were 3 or 4 scripts that did not work so we disabled them in Fantastico until we added PHP4.4.1 as a CGI so they could run if wanted/needed. Fantastico itself works well. We had three issues with OSCommerce and I have all the fixes in my knowledge base if you want to see them. I will tell you without the ability to offer PHP4 and only offering PHP5 will slow your sales. In 6 months I do not see this being an issue.

We did help fix some scripts but most of the problems were easy fixes. We did not give a notice, we checked to see what all the clients were running and since there were only a few OSCommerce sites and the majority of the rest of the scripts were PHP5 compatible we did the upgrade then started fixing the scripts :)

If you have problems I would consider running PHP4 and 5 side by side. We used the tutorial in a thread here started by ispro. He was adding PHP5 to a PHP4 setup so we just substituted 4.4.1 for everywhere he had 5.0.4 and it worked fine.

Good luck to you.

5. embsupafly

embsupafly Active Member

Yes I would like to see the knowledge base.