The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To take full advantage of cPanel & WHM, we strongly recommend...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tvcnet, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tvcnet

tvcnet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Very annoying telling our clients they need to upgrade like this, without considering the ramifications of such a message.

Pic: - Removed -

This message should be pulled from WHM login screen as soon as possible.

Geez!
    wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/MigratingFiveToSix

Suffice it to say, is a message you send to the owners of the license and not unsuspecting end user/clients.

+++

"To take full advantage of cPanel & WHM, we strongly recommend that you replace your hard drive today. See ..."

#1 tvcnet, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

CentOS 5 is nearing the end of it's lifespan (August 31, 2017), and it's use will prevent the functioning of certain features in cPanel/WHM. The goal of that banner is to encourage uptake of a newer version of the OS. Are you experiencing a significant increase in failed upgrade attempts from your customer base?

Thank you.

3. tvcnet

tvcnet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes, I understand CentOS 5.x is going to be EOL in 2 full years. Alerting customers in this manner isn't exactly appropriate, and it's needlessly inflammatory. It's not like this is a 1-click upgrade.

A CentOS upgrade from 5 to 6 requires a complete from the ground up reinstall of the server. It's stated right there in their official wiki, which is already linked to above, and I have quoted below:

------------------------------------------------

Direct Upgrades Are Not Supported
    An anaconda or yum upgrade is completely unsupported.

------------------------------------------------

Does cPanel have a supported in-place upgrade method for this?

Also, why did a moderator remove the photo? There's no other mention of the complete message we are discussing.

The complete text is:

"To take full advantage of cPanel & WHM, we strongly recommend that you use CentOS 6. See http://go.cpanel.net/upgrade_os for more information."

Thanks

4. NTar

NTar Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm pretty curious how this is for upgrading CentOS 6 to CentOS 7. Do I have to reinstall my server completely or could I just upgrade?

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Please attach images to your posts instead of linking to them. You posted the text and linked to an image with the same text.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, this is true, and no, there is no one-step upgrade process. In order to better understand your concern, could you let us know if this message has become a big problem for your user base? For instance, are users attempting to upgrade their OS and encountering issues? Or, are you concerned that they may attempt to upgrade their OS and fail during the attempt to do so?

Thank you.

7. UH-Matt

UH-Matt Active Member
    PartnerNOC

So how do we remove this message?

Per the OP we also don't want cPanel telling our customers they need a new operating system. That's our job as a managed service provider, not yours as a control panel vendor.

Unless you'd like me to open a migrations ticket requesting you guys moving 800 servers from CentOS5 to CentOS6 with the cPanel migrations team you really aught to give us the choice of what is thrusted in our customers face every time they login to WHM.

This is not cool. So can you answer the original question of how we remove this message from WHM please?

Tom Risager likes this.
  8. stormy

stormy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One more vote for removing the message. Do you really intend to have it up for 2 years?

9. garconcn

garconcn Well-Known Member

I vote for removing the message too, the same reason as Matt said.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Internal case CPANEL-1501 was opened to note the customer feedback reported in this thread. There's no decision on a change to the warning message at this time, but I will update this thread with the outcome once it's been reviewed.

Thank you.

11. feldon27

feldon27 Well-Known Member

I know my webhost is neck deep in alligators migrating servers as fast as they can as a result of this crazy early CentOS EOL message. I have an exemplary host, but even they are sounding like 2-3 weeks will be optimistic. I don't think cPanel considered the ramifications of this, especially with no in-situ migration path.

This could have been a win for hosts if it had been communicated and rolled out in stages. Say if the license number ends in 1, then show the message, 2 months later if the license number ends in 2, 4 months later if the license number ends in 3. This would be communicated in advance with hosts who would then use this opportunity to upgrade users on old boxes and upsell them on RAM, storage, etc.

Instead it's a big flashing sign saying "Your OS is obsolete. Contact your host ASAP." and hosts are experiencing a pain in their hind quarters and wondering if other control panels go this route.

12. dclaw

dclaw Member
    PartnerNOC

And here now you've made it worse.

Red Hat® will deprecate all CentOS 5 systems on March 31, 2017. cPanel, Inc. and Red Hat will no longer provide your operating systems with updates or security fixes. You must migrate your server to a CentOS 7 server with the Service Migration Tool to ensure that your server remains up to date. You must contact your hosting provider for a destination server.

What's the deal with this? The original message you forced upon us last year was bad enough. We've been migrating customers to CentOS 7 for most of the last year. But now people are getting even more freaked out. Not very cool at all.

13. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hey, instead of complaining, maybe you need to follow the instructions and upgrade your servers. It's been 10 years, time to move onwards and upwards

It is a painless upgrade (aside from the temporary second server cost), if done right. Hell, you can pull it off overnight, in most cases. However, you still need to notify your customers, of course.

The point? Get out of older than dirt systems!

acenetgeorge likes this.
  14. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator