The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To use your own name servers or not

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melsworld, Apr 13, 2008.

1. melsworld

melsworld Active Member

Are there any big advantages or disadvantages to using your own name servers

I have full control of box and root access

At the moment the new box is set up with the host providers name servers

Should I be using my own namservers?

Also according to my server specification I should have 5 ips but when I check ip availabilty it is only showing 1 - but do I not require 2 to set up nameservers

Thanks Mel

2. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

If you use our own DNS, meaning the DNS is hosted on your server you have control over it to make changes instead of having to submit them manually to your provider but then again you will only have 1 point of failure and all requests are handled by your server. If your DNS fails so will all domains. Also if you have allot of traffic going trough the DNS it will stress your server specially if you received a DOS attack against your DNS. The most common attacks this days are against DNS server. If you plan to have heavy traffic domains use your provider DNS for performance and security.

3. melsworld

melsworld Active Member

Thanks for the answer - yes some of them are heavy traffic domains so reckon I will stick with my provider DNS for the present as I have enough other things to keep an eye

Mel:)