The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomcat keeps to hang up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ialex03, May 25, 2004.

1. ialex03

ialex03 Well-Known Member

Hello.

I have a RedHat 9 server CPanel. Tomcat 5.0.19 works fine for 1-3 hours and then hangs up. A java process exists in the memory but it doesn't serve connections. All reguests to jsp scripts just freeze.

Do you have any suppositions?

Thank you.

2. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Check you tomcat logs. Sounds like a crashed JVM or an OutOfMemoryException (probably due to some customer's bad code).

If' I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times, if you don't know how to troubleshoot Tomcat issues, do yourself a favor and not offer it as a service until you've spent PLENTY of time learning how Tomcat operates. If you don't, you'll give yourself nothing but headaches and lost sleep (not too mention plenty of pissed off customers). Tomcat requires far more knowledge than things like PHP and Perl when it comes to general maintenance and troubleshooting.

3. ialex03

ialex03 Well-Known Member

Thank you. It does help me.
    Some customer complained that his scripts crashed with OutOfMemoryException. I didn't release that Tomcat server may crash because of bad customer's code.

As for you suggestion do not provide Tomcat, I can only say that there are some situations when you cannot choose whether to provide it or to refuse. In my case I have to learn Tomcat.

4. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have the weigh the pros and the cons. Does providing it to keep the customers requiring it with you really cover the "cost" of the hassles you'll deal with until you are comfortable enough to manage it. Never be afraid to lose a few customers because you just can't support a certain technology; focus on what you are good at and then add new technologies once you are comfortable with them (your customers will be much happier in the long run).

We've turned plenty of customers away requiring things like Zope/Plone, Ruby, EXO, etc. because the time and energy needed to provide proper support just doesn't justify what we would make from the select few that ask for it. A quick cost-benefit analysis is always a good idea; never bite off more than you can chew, and never try to be the "end-all-be-all". Words to live by.

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well said!