The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tomcat not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flashweb, Feb 25, 2007.

1. flashweb

flashweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

On my cpanel server, i installed Tomcat from "Addon Modules"

Tomcat is not starting, when i restart it through WHM, i get error

restartsrv_tomcat, stoptomcat and starttomcat do not show any output.

I can start and stop tomcat by running following commands from command prompt as root.

/usr/local/jakarta/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
    /usr/local/jakarta/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh

Anyway to get it working from WHM ?

Thanks,

Yujin

2. flashweb

flashweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have installed tomcat on another server, that is also CentOS 4.4 64 Bit. Tomcat is not working on that too. Is this a Cpanel bug ?

3. psrsathish

psrsathish Active Member

Hi,

Did you found any error in /var/log/messages while restarting the tomcat?

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Yes do check your logs as advised. Also a couple things to try, update your cpanel, go into service manager and untick both tomcat service and monitoring and save then tick the boxes back and save again. Also look at restarting apache as well. One of or couple of these fixed the restart many times for me in the past.

5. akiyuki

akiyuki Member

6. fingerprn

fingerprn Member

Has anyone verified that Tomcat isn't actually running regardless of the messages?

Here's why I ask: I just changed servers, installed Tomcat along with the monitor option and started having this same problem (i.e., Service Status says Tomcat failed. I get a message emailed to me every 10 minutes saying Tomcat failed. I've tried restarting it through WHM, but I get the same message flashweb mentions above). However, my java-based software is running fine (it's a communications server script). I went back to my old server and noticed that the monitor option wasn't turned on. I turned it on and guess what... same problem even though my java-based software has been running fine on that server for almost a year.

I'm no Linux expert, so I can't figure out how to tell through SSH if Tomcat is running (PS AX only seem to confirm that my communications server software is running which wouldn't happen if Tomcat was down). However, I'm guessing that WHM is fibbing.

FYI, I'm running Tomcat on a VPS.

My only concern is that Tomcat may be starting, but then shuts down and restarts. Any way to check this? I couldn't find anything in the logs that looked suspicious. I really doubt that Tomcat is restarting, though, because my communications server is keeping the flow of chat messages running smoothly during the time that I'm getting the failure emails.

#6 fingerprn, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 18, 2007
  7. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have the same problem - x86_64 architecture. Just tried to install Tomcat. Install went fine. It doesn't fire up. Get the same message.

WHM 11.2.0 cPanel 11.11.0-R16789
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.5 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0

/var/log/messages has no info. /scripts/restartsrv_tomcat doesn't do a damn thing - doesn't throw an error, but doesn't fire it up.

Mike