The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomcat on cPanel mystery !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rajneesh1965, Feb 24, 2012.

1. rajneesh1965

rajneesh1965 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have a cPanel/WHM account and we are using Tomcat 5.5.30 with it. When we start the Tomcat from /usr/local/jakarta/apache-tomcat-5.5.30/bin]# sh startup.sh, it does startup. However, when we shut it down, the manager app for all the domains on our VPS still work !!!

Am I missing something here ? From what I have known, when one executes the shutdown/startup scripts, the Tomcat normally shuts/starts respectively, but with cPanel it seems to be a mystery. Any ideas what may be happenning :confused:?

Thanks,

Rajneesh

2. whr

whr Active Member

How are you shutting it down? If you are using the shutdown.sh script, try running it with the -x switch which will be helpful for debugging.

sh -x shutdown.sh

See if get any errors there.

You can also try killing the tomcat process using kill -9 PID

3. rajneesh1965

rajneesh1965 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Whr,

Many thanks for the quick help.

What I realized is that cPanel has its own script to start the Tomcat and that uses another user. When I was trying to start and stop using startup.sh and shutdown.sh it was not taking in that user thus a new PID was spawnning.

Since I know it now, I was able to do it. The crux of the problem was that when cPanle starts the tomcat, we were not able to deploy a WAR, but when I started it, the WAR worked well. The only issue now remains to see is that when I start the server despite min/max memory options being 16/32 the memory reamining on the VPS is less compared to when cPanle starts it.

Any gusses, why does this happen?

Cheers !

Rajneesh