rajneesh1965

Registered
Feb 24, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We have a cPanel/WHM account and we are using Tomcat 5.5.30 with it. When we start the Tomcat from /usr/local/jakarta/apache-tomcat-5.5.30/bin]# sh startup.sh, it does startup. However, when we shut it down, the manager app for all the domains on our VPS still work !!!

Am I missing something here ? From what I have known, when one executes the shutdown/startup scripts, the Tomcat normally shuts/starts respectively, but with cPanel it seems to be a mystery. Any ideas what may be happenning :confused:?

Thanks,

Rajneesh

whr

Jul 25, 2009
India
How are you shutting it down? If you are using the shutdown.sh script, try running it with the -x switch which will be helpful for debugging.

sh -x shutdown.sh

See if get any errors there.

You can also try killing the tomcat process using kill -9 PID

rajneesh1965

Registered
Feb 24, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Whr,

Many thanks for the quick help.

What I realized is that cPanel has its own script to start the Tomcat and that uses another user. When I was trying to start and stop using startup.sh and shutdown.sh it was not taking in that user thus a new PID was spawnning.

Since I know it now, I was able to do it. The crux of the problem was that when cPanle starts the tomcat, we were not able to deploy a WAR, but when I started it, the WAR worked well. The only issue now remains to see is that when I start the server despite min/max memory options being 16/32 the memory reamining on the VPS is less compared to when cPanle starts it.

Any gusses, why does this happen?

Cheers !

Rajneesh