The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too easy to delete public_html via FTP user window

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akmiecik, Aug 10, 2011.

1. akmiecik

akmiecik Registered

Was creating FTP user to access public_html.
    CPanel FTP Accoutns creates user and automatically creates directory with user name.
    I wanted to access public_html to I deleted the user name in the direcotry field.
    Had issues with FileZilla so, not thinking, I decided to start over and went and deleted the user which, in turn, deleted public_html (yea, there is a confirmation screen but, since I had just done it for the personal FTP directory I was not paying attention)

Bottom line:
    It was far to easy to delete the public_html directory via this process. Is there way you can prevent the public_html directory from being deleted via the FTP Accounts screen?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not that I'm aware of.

3. sondzin

sondzin Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, you are not aware of how to prevent the entire contents of the public_html directory from being deleted when you are just deleting a single FTP account from within Cpanel? How could that be?

Our hosting company suggested that it may be an intended behavior. I find that idea to be ludicrous and extremely dangerous!

If, when deleting an individual FTP account, which consists of a separate directory from public_html, the entire contents of the public_html directory is removed, then that function is BROKEN!

WHY does this happen? Why are you not aware of something being done to fix it?

I would love to know the answer to these questions.

Thanks,
    David

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If, when deleting an additional FTP account normally, when you click delete, a large options screen expands and displays two messages:

Delete account accountname?

And

Delete account accountname
    and delete all files under
    /home/username/accountname ?

Your next click, decides what happens to your files.

I don't see anything broken in either of those messages that are clear, and plain to see.