The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many emails IMAP times out.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MZmuda, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MZmuda

MZmuda Active Member

Hi, All,

I'm up against a bit of a quandary... I'm trying to view my emails in either Squirrelmail or Roundcube or Horde, but, because I have some 700thousand emails, I keep getting errors:

Roundcube: "An error occurred! Server Error: STATUS: Fatal error: Cannot allocate memory"
    SquirrelMail: This error appears on the side: "ERROR: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: STATUS "INBOX" (MESSAGES UNSEEN RECENT" whereas this error appears on the top: "ERROR: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: SELECT "INBOX""

Does anybody know how I can extend my timeouts or increase the size of the memory available to whichever processes I need so I can view my emails?

Thanks -

- Mike Z

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

700,000 emails is likely too large an amount for a webmail application to handle. Have you considered using an email client and downloading the messages using POP3?

Thank you.

3. MZmuda

MZmuda Active Member

Originally, that's what I was trying to do, but my email reader (Agent Newsreader [yes, it does email too]) kept getting hung up on one of the messages, preventing it from DLing any more. In the past when this has happened, I'd go into SquirrelMail or RoundCube or Horde, sort out a few thousand messages, hoping one that I filtered out was the one hanging Agent up. But this time, that wasn't working.

But, over the course of the weekend, I tried multiple times to DL my emails, and, lo and behold, Agent plodded through, downloading all but the last 12000 or so of them. (After that number, Agent started throwing up Winsock "out of memory" errors.) After downloading most of the 700k emails, I was able to go into my mail folder, manually delete about 500k messages (things older than 90 days,) [which I was aware Agent had already downloaded,] thus freeing up my system to work faster, better, etc...

Finally, after literally 2 days of plodding, repeated downloads, inch-by-inching, I was able to download all 12Gigs (!!!) of mail.

Now, of course, it's lightening fast, so... :)

Thanks for your help!!!

- Z

4. MZmuda

MZmuda Active Member

Well, this is an oddity...

Even after all that (downloading all 700k+ emails,) I'm still getting the same issues via Horde, RoundCube, and SquirrelMail as I was before:

Roundcube: "An error occurred! Server Error: STATUS: Fatal error: Cannot allocate memory"
    SquirrelMail: This error appears on the side: "ERROR: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: STATUS "INBOX" (MESSAGES UNSEEN RECENT" whereas this error appears on the top: "ERROR: ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: SELECT "INBOX""

I even went into the box via SSH, CHDir'd into my /cur directory, and did a "ls -l". The EIGHT files that came up (each about 5-6k in size) took about FOUR minutes to display (!!!)

Now, if this were a Windows box, I'd say I have I may have to Defrag my drive, but... Since this is Centos, I'm not sure.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated!

- Z

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It sounds like there might be an issue with your filesystem. However, feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.