The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much MySQL writting to the HDD, how to offload writting?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by postcd, Oct 29, 2014.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

I have optimised mysql configuration i think quite good, but there are queries that i believe canot be cached in RAM (i have plenty of free RAM), but use HDD swap?

My result:
    Can i anyhow offload mysql HDD writting/(swapping?) on other HDD/server without physically moving mysql databases causing more than 40 seconds downtime to one website?

WHM feature "Setup Remote MySQL Server" do not offload existing mysqls unless i transfer them to new server, and as i say i dont want bigger downtime. Also it sounds better 4me to have all at one server. thx

PS, one possibility is googling "MySQL tmpdir on a RAM disk", these two tutorials looks good:
    http://www.fromdual.com/mysql-tmpdir-on-ram-disk
    http://2bits.com/articles/reduce-yo...oving-mysql-temporary-directory-ram-disk.html
    (issue is i dont know hot to prevent case mysql want to write more data then is ramdisc size)

#1 postcd, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. whr

whr Active Member

If you can afford a little downtime, get an SSD disk and move the entire database folder there. Then symlink it to the actual location. SSD drives are good in handling higher read/write cycles.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator