The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took my best shot, DNS Setup Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by autom8r, Feb 20, 2010.

1. autom8r

autom8r Registered

Hello all,
    Yesterday I purchased my first dedicated WHM/cPanel server and I love it! Worth every penny as a rookie like me can do a lot of admin functions with minimal hassle.

I've been reading for the last 6 hours on how to setup my own nameservers, register these with my registrar and setup the correct DNS zones. I believe I have done it correctly to the best of my abilities, but of course, due to the 24-48 hour wait time after updating my registrar, I'm not sure if I made mistakes or am simply impatient. Please comment on my setup below, I may have missed a critical step, this is my first time setting any DNS redirection:

For this example my domain is duffbeer.com (not real) and I have 2 free IP addresses assigned to my account for name servers already.

Step 1. Go into WHM's "Basic cPanel/WHM Setup", scroll to the nameservers section at the bottom and change NS #1 -> ns1.duffbeer.com and NS #2 -> ns2.duffbeer.com. Save this setup.

Step 2. Go into WHM's "Change Hostname" and replace the cryptic server name from ctl_e93l_dks_blah_blah.privatedns.com to something simple like "beerstore.privatedns.com", add an A record for the new hostname.

Step 3. Go back into WHM's "Basic cPanel/WHM Setup", down to nameservers and click the "Assign IP" and then "Create A Record" for both ns1.duffbeer.com and ns2.duffbeer.com.

Step 4. Create account for duffbeer.com using WHM's "Create a New Account", setup account for duffbeer.com using the nameservers ns1.duffbeer.com and ns2.duffbeer.com.

At this point, the DNS Zones are created and looking over them they look flawless. There is A entries for both nameserver's IP addresses, A entry for the domain's IP address, 2 NS entries for both ns1.duffbeer.com and ns2.duffbeer.com, localhost entry and the regular mail, www, ftp, etc. entries.

Step 5. Login to GoDaddy.com and register both ns1.duffbeer.com and ns2.duffbeer.com (using their related IP's) as Hosts.

Step 6. Within GoDaddy Domain Manager assign the nameservers ns1.duffbeer.com and ns2.duffbeer.com to the domain.

Now I wait, and I'm still waiting, I'm not sure if I've configured it properly or made a mistake. Could anyone help me understand steps I could take to debug each piece of the puzzle? I know there are about 3 :(

I really appreciate it!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Welcome to the party, cPanel rocks. :)

I think I'd have done 5 & 6 first, but no matter looks like you covered all the right bases I think.

Check your domain(s) here for any issues:
    intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health