The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

top problems in cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hbeaumont, Nov 10, 2003.

1. hbeaumont

hbeaumont Member

Hi,

I've been evaluating control panels.

So far cpanel looks like the best, however every now and again i read people on other boards (ensim, etc.) mention
    problems in cpanel.

I know that with any product there will be both complainers and clueless losers who have no business being an admin.

However I'd like to hear what YOU consider the top problems (if any!) in cpanel.

From everything I've saw it looks to be the best of what is out there (from the major players at least).

Please post your comments!

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a newbie and have never had any problems with it. However, cpanel is based around redhat, and that is likely to change in the near future. You may want to wait a few months to see which os will be recommended for use with cpanel once redhat retires its free versions.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    As an experienced System Admin with an E-Commerce background, I can cPanel cannot be beat. Never had any major issues, if anything it's only the "I would prefer it done differently".

I've used two of the other leaders and suck in comparison. Keep in mind though we use cPanel mainly for client side only and manage our server from the console as much as possible instead of using WHM.

4. hbeaumont

hbeaumont Member

I actually see this as an advantage - I prefer console management too.

From what I've saw the competition pretty much sucks. Just wanted to see if there were any lingering issues.

All I can think of (common to all systems),

nobody files problems (solved with phpsuexec?)
    mysql databases sizes (not counted against users quota?)
    load management (no clean way to tell which users is using too many resources and causing crashes)

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

The nobody files problem is probably solved with phpsuexec, although I'm not using it. Mysql databases are counted against users' quotas. There's a script to run to do this. I run it nightly and it works fine. As far as load management goes, I don't know of any clean way to tell which user is using too many resources, but if anybody else does, I'm all ears.:)

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Although WHM/Cpanel works pretty good -- could work better for the money it costs though -- my biggest complaint is not fixing current bugs before adding new features and the fact that, although it shows Data Transfer used for the month in every account's Cpanel it is usually 1/3 - 1/2 of the actual amount used. That's two complaints, but who's counting. ;)

7. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My complaint is you get used to everything being so easy so when you actually have to get your hands dirty it seems like a huge deal.

:D