The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Newbie! RE: homepage/index.html

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madmum, Mar 18, 2008.

1. madmum

madmum Registered

Hello. I know this will sound really stupid to all of you experienced site builders. I bought my domain thinking I would be able to type everything online and press a button and hey presto - my website would appear! doh!!

However, I've told myself my brain is as good as anyone elses, I just need to understand what I'm doing! This might take a while...... lol

I know I have to have my homepage named index.html but I don't understand exactly how to do it.
    I can see my domain name in the list of files and I can see index.html listed too but which one do I click on?
    Do I click my domain name and rename it with index.html or do I click index.html and rename it with my domain name?
    ....and when (if) I rename it, do I type the whole thing in or just the bit I'm adding?

I have a lot of questions but trying to start with the very basics and work my way through.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me?

Maria

2. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you look at the "root" directory of your site, you will see several folders. Enter into the public_html folder and the items there are what can be displayed on your publicly viewable site. In this public_html folder, the index.html (or .htm, etc) file will be the primary one displayed initially when someone views your site. This file will be the one to edit to have your content displayed. You may create other files as desired, but the index page is the first viewed page on your site.

The actual content and design is not covered here, but there are html guides available in book form and on the internet.

Ron

3. madmum

madmum Registered

RE: index.html

Thank you Ron.
    I've just done that, so now I have a folder which says, /public_html/index.html.
    Have I done it correctly?

Maria

4. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds right, now you need to put your desired content there and it should be available from the domain name.

Ron

5. madmum

madmum Registered

Thank you so much Ron, this is really appreciated.

Maria

6. aledress

aledress Registered

index troubles

I had this problem many moons ago.

the index.htm is not the domain itself - it is only the default page that a web browser will call up when visiting that domain.

Just save your home page as index.htm or index.html and upload it to your server. You do not have to upload a file with the domain name itself - this will be worked out automatically by the browser.

An example:

if your web sites' domain was called wonderpants.com - your index page would be uploaded to the server as index.htm.

the browser url field would say: http://www.wonderpants.com/index.htm

hope this helps. I am stuck forwarding emails from cpanel to aol and I've been coding for years. There's always a monkey in the drumkit my friend, always.:eek:

Aled Rees

#6 aledress, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008