The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally new and clueless

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DuckieN, Aug 28, 2004.

1. DuckieN

DuckieN Member

Hi, I recently started a forum board and was using a co-workers server for free. Turns out I had to vacate for a paying customer so I had to find a new server. Yesterday, I signed up with a new server who uses cpanel. My co-worker moved everything from his server the new one. once the info from the new server was received. Unfortunately at the time of this posting, my site is still not up and running. In the meantime, I've been looking at the cpanelX, trying to figure it all out. It looks pretty scary to this newbie.

The domain name I have, I don't like it anymore and have another one I'd rather use. Right now, the new domain name is idle & not assigned to any server. To make a long story short, I was wondering about the sub-domain section. Is there where I put the url to the site I would rather have the forum re-direct to? Do I have to advise my new server and the place I bought the domain name from of this or do I use the re-direct section of cpanel and it will automatically send the user to the new domain url? If this is the case, should I make the necessary changes on the re-direct while my site is down or is it more complicated than that? Sorry for being so long winded.. but this is a whole new experience for me... long ways from a webpage on geocities!! :confused:

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should consider hiring someone to help you get setup properly. Chirpy on this forum can handle this for you.

cPanel Server Configuration Service and MailScanner Install/Upgrade Service:
    http://www.webumake.com/services/

3. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    do it from the redirect section. You only want to do it from the sub domain section if you want a sub domain to redirect to a different location.