The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracing Viewers of Ones' Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by travisab, Apr 25, 2003.

1. travisab

travisab Registered

In my C-Panel I've noticed that some visitors leave an easy trail to trace where they come from. Others seem to not want this trace to take place. Is there a way to overpower this antitrace? It is sort of like your telephone having unknown written in your caller ID and using *69 to call them back and when they get past the *69 bit you can go to Radio Shack and break their code and still see where the call comes from. Is there a fix that will over power these visitors that leave unwanted and sometimes disrupting portions or ones' website info?
    Thanks,
    Travis Glenn

2. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

Your comparisons are as confusing as mine! As to your question I don't think it can be done, but I'm no absolute expert at this!

3. travisab

travisab Registered

I just need to know

Dear SoftmegUK;
    I use to live in Glenco, I went down the Irish Sea and took on bunkers in a small English town where I played my guitar in a small pub of 50 or so patrions. I played a song called The Battle of New Orleans, It went over very well in Scotland but was not taken to well there. However, I'm wanting to be able to tell just who has visited my site and where they visited my site from. It seems that some people can mask their Idenity and say what they want to say with no feedback. I'd like to surprise them and say something to the effect of A-HAA, you've been unmasked George. The next time you visit my site I'm telling your probation officer and you'll be sorry. Is this asking to much?
    Regards,
    Travis Glenn

4. SoftmegUK

hehe @ ur post!

if someone really wants to mask themselves to you when visiting your webpage they will, some people like me dont have reversable ips, so your server cant find out my hostname, thus not really being able to guess where I'm from, as I believe it bases it on extensions of hostnames. So I myself would be one of the 'Unknown' location.... hope that makes sense, its 3am and im tired :D

5. travisab

travisab Registered

Dear SoftmegUK;
    It is 8:54 PM here in Buffalo Gap SD. You said it is 3:00 AM where you are. I figure you rounded it of to the next 15 minutes since I just received your reply. OOOOK, then there are people out there that can hide under a mask and completely undetectable to the average Joe. There has to be an antiblocker though.
    Hope you had a good sleep kid. See you tomorrow/today depending on where your from.
    Kindest regards,
    Travis Glenn

6. SoftmegUK

lol its 4am and im just making my final rounds lol.

The main ways people will appear to come from "unknown" locations could be mainly because of the ip not being able to reverse to a host name or it could be because they are using a proxy or something along that nature, for both I don't believe there is a way of tracing it back, as most proxys are designed to be anonomous.... but i may be wrong...

Any ways no more replies from me this morning need some kip!

7. travisab

travisab Registered

The proxy server thing

SoftmegUK;
    This proxy server thing really makes sense. OK. I've got it now. No way to trace a proxy server. Thats like tracing a phone call to a pay phone. I don't have to be hit on the head but it really gets ones' attention though. It's 11:00 PM here and I just woke up after a brief sleep to check the e-mail and go back to sleep. Thanks for the info and I'll no longer wonder why I can't trace some viewers.
    Regards,
    Travis Glenn