Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Track Delivery result exceeds reportable limit

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by blackwidow02, Nov 22, 2018.

1. blackwidow02

blackwidow02 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

I would like to seek for assistance regarding the Track Delivery in cPanel. Everytime our client choose to Show All the tracking of delivery with Max Result/Type of 250 they are encountering this issue saying "This query produced a result set that exceeds the reportable limit. The results available below may not contain the record or records you are looking for." And the display in the table for delivery of email is reflecting delayed. What is the possible cause for this? Is there also a maximum number of displaying the track deliveries? Is this adjustable in the server? by the way the it is also said that the data is retained for 10 days.

Looking for your kind assistance. Thank you!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure I understand what you're saying here. I don't show an option for Max 250.

Is this the screen you're talking about?

MDR1000cP.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think @blackwidow02 is referring to the Track Delivery in cPanel rather than mail deliveries in WHM
    Screenshot-2018-11-22 cPanel - Track Delivery.png
    I am not sure why you would want to see all the deliveries anyway, using the filters or Recipient Email address to cut the report down to a sensible output works perfectly and is probably more in keeping with how the tool was intended to be used

See Track Delivery - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation for full details

The time that delivery events are stored; are configured in Tweak Settings >Stats and Logs > The interval, in days, to retain Exim stats in the database (Minimum: 1; Maximum: 365,000)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    blackwidow02 and Infopro like this.
  4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    He literally said it.
    Sometimes this coffee fails me..:rolleyes:

5. blackwidow02

blackwidow02 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @rpvw ,

Its actually our client who wants to see all/realtime deliveries because he wants to monitor that. But as mentioned above he's encountering this error message "This query produced a result set that exceeds the reportable limit. The results available below may not contain the record or records you are looking for." same as the image you've included and there is delay in reflecting the track delivery (It was 3 in the afternoon PH time when our client reported but the most recent info displayed in the track delivery table is 12 noon).

Thanks!

6. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It rather looks like your client is trying to use a tool designed for one thing ..... to do something else !

From what I understand, the tool was designed for troubleshooting the delivery status or issues for messages, not as a aggregate reporting tool. Now, obviously, if the mail traffic was low enough, or the number of days of stored data was low enough, the tool might be able to cope with displaying everything.

I keep exim mail stats for 30 days on my server, and the tool can only report 5,000 results (on my server - I don't know if this is a hard limit, or dependant on set or available mem size or something else), so there may well be more delivery reports that are out of scope. As soon as I use the filters or search for a particular mail, the results are rationalised to a sensible number, and the yellow warning/error message goes away.

I don't find it unusual that a limit was imposed on the number of records that the tool can report - a busy server, or one that was suffering from a mail dos, could potentially produce hundreds of thousands of records a minute, and the action of just reading the stats and attempting to render them could easily overwhelm the capacity of the server to be able to cope.

I am not sure why your client is seeing a delay. I just ran some tests and my system seems to be reporting within seconds of a mail being processed. Is it possible that your client had not sent/received a mail on that account between the time he is saying is the last movement, and the time he reported the issue ?

I suspect that you will have to work with your client so that the tools intended reporting use is better understood, and perhaps explore alternative methods of compiling the statistics the client wants.

cPanelLauren and blackwidow02 like this.
  7. blackwidow02

blackwidow02 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @rpvw,

Thank you for the information and help, Its clear to me now, I think our client is just demanding and assuming that the track delivery can be used as his monitoring or reporting tool in figuring out every mails that comes in and out whether a spam/legit/or not, which is not actually a designed tool for what he want.

Again thank you for the feedback and knowledge sharing :)

cPanelLauren likes this.