The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tranferring accounts/Full Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hostingtruth, Jun 6, 2004.

1. hostingtruth

hostingtruth Member

Greetings everyone. I'm a hosting reseller that is trying to get about 25 accounts moved from one WHM/cPanel server to another. I have no shell access on the originating server but can get it if need be on the receiving server.

I have been desperately attempting to successfully restore a full backup but have been unable to do so. After uploading the tar.gz backup file to a newly created account on the new server, cPanel says it is restoring files and then lists a boatload of them that it has apparently restored. Problem is that it doesn't actually place the files where they need to go. It just leaves them in a folder in the home directory.

I have been going back through some older threads in this forum to see if this was addressed at all previously. I found one thread that appeared to be very similar to my issue...

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2136&highlight=full+backup

In that thread one user suggested a five or six step method of restoring the files, which involved logging in as root, renaming the backup file, and then running some program on the files to restore them to their proper place. Then later in the thread someone mentioned that WHM was now capable of restoring a full backup.

That thread is now about 6 months old, so I wanted to see if those solutions were still the prevailing wisdom, and I also had a couple questions.

I don't see any backup feature in my reseller WHM. Is that backup/restore only available in the server admin's WHM? If that's the case, am I then better off using the 6-step SSH method outlined in the thread above? Also, with the full backup, am I still going to be required to bring the databases over separately, or are they included?

Thanks for any advice you can provide. Oh, my cPanel and WHM version is 9.3.0.

Scott Henry
    Hostingtruth.net

2. 3en

3en Active Member

I have that same problem. And I cant use SSH. Please help. What version was it fixed in?