The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans-pacific connection issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by psipro, Jul 2, 2009.

1. psipro

psipro Member

Hello all,

I have a client and I have been managing a dedicated server for them for awhile. This client has offices in Shanghai and Sydney, and since the Sydney office has join onto the same IT framework they have complained about upload speeds to the server.

Now Shanghai has periodically complained about e-mails with attachments being dropped (during upload to the server) but never about the upload speed.

When they are using the server they typically get 500kbps down but only 20 or so up. Getting them to run a tracert is almost impossible, so although I report it to the dataceter they can't do much about it.

I am looking for suggestions on how I can improve their service, and give them a better or more reliable connection.

I have had the idea floated to me of a Australian based VPS to use as a VPN node for their connections as well, but I'm not sure about the feasibility of this.

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A VPN based solution might work -- if the the datacetner itself has decent routing.

Another option to look into is where are you hosting the server? That may not have the best route over to Asia - a continent not exactly know for its good routing.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Which is not ideal routing if you are doing a lot of Asian traffic. Have you considered going with a datacenter based on the West Coast or even better an Asian/Au DC?

4. psipro

psipro Member

Hello,

Boxes are located at The Planet, dead center of the USA :)

5. psipro

psipro Member

Most of the traffic for the sites is US based. They host three different studio websites on the server and all three work internationally... but most of their traffic comes from the US.

In terms of the down speed to Asia/AU, browsing is fine AFAIK. Its just uploads from the studios that is causing problems. Because most of the traffic is US based I opted for The Planet (not to mention most of my boxes are there already), but I have considered a west coast option.

6. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like a good plan then if you have mostly US traffic.

The only thing I would suggest is you can look into changing the syscytl.conf to improve the transfer speed but chances are it will not help.

You can try increasing the timeouts, won't speed it up but at least the connections won't drop.

7. psipro

psipro Member

thank you eth00