The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transcoding with centos 4.7 (with WHM and Cpanel)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cookiesunshinex, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cookiesunshinex

cookiesunshinex Well-Known Member

I have a CentOS 4.7 which has WHM and Cpanel on it. I've just recently installed Icecast 2.3.2 which is working great.

Icecast server does not handle transcoding so I have to have something else transcode my 128k stream to a lower stream of 64k so that my listerners have two options hi 128k and low 64k.

I want to run the transcoder on my CentOS 4.7 server.
    After reading the Icecast manual, I see that I can use the two commands to initiate a transcode script
    <on-connect>/home/icecast/bin/source-start</on-connect>
    <on-disconnect>/home/icecast/bin/source-end</on-disconnect>

It looks like I have 4 options for the actual transcoding on the CentOS server:

Option 1: user Stream Transcoder V3 - http://www.oddsock.org/tools/streamtranscoderv3/

Question 1: Has anyone used this on Centos 4.7?

Option 2: use ffmpeg binary to capture the 128k stream and transcode it to 64k. I have ffmpeg installed via RPM.

Question 2: If I use ffmpeg I know by reading the man pages that I can use this command to convert a normal mp3 file to 64k
    ffmpeg -i filename.mp3 -ab 64 filename64.mp3

How can I handle capturing the stream and then transcoding that back to the icecast server's mountpoint?

Option 3: use VLC binary to capture the 128k stream and transcode it to 64k. I have vlc installed via RPM.

Question3: How is it possible to to capture the stream and then transcode that back to the icecast server's mountpoint using VLC?

Option 4: use the transcode binary to capture the 128k stream and transcode it to 64k. I have transcode installed via RPM.

Question4: How is it possible to to capture the stream and then transcode that back to the icecast server's mountpoint using the linux transcode binary?

Question 5: As far as server resources, which would require less overhead to do the transcoding?

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above tools? Are any of them particular suited for my purpose?

Cheers.