The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer a whole server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by phoenixweb, Dec 5, 2007.

1. phoenixweb

phoenixweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi everybody,

I have some old server in my web farm, and I would like to dismiss theme as soon as possibile 'cause since the price of new tecnology falled, I pay much more these server monthly than a new one more powerfull.

So I would like to setup a new server and just copy all the information on the new one (cpanel license incluse), and in the night just change NS1 and NS2, to point to the new IP.

Is this possibile? Or I will incurr in a lot of problem?

Which is the best way to upgrade the hardware of a server?
    PS: i cannot just remove the HD and put it into a new server due to DELL's warranty limitation.

Thank you for your opinion.

:)

2. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

why you not use whm transfer option? you can transfer multimply accounts. if you try searh forum you will found many posts whith lot of recommedations how you can do it with minimal downtime for your site and without any data losts.

3. phoenixweb

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have transferred more than 500 account by using that tool, and i can guarantee even if is very usefull, it have also lot of problems:

1) don't transfer all data, some data just will be don't transferred at all (Horde Calendar and some other useless staff... but i cannot tell to my costumers... it's useless don't worry!)
    2) All the zone will be rewritten with new references to the new server (but i want just change IP address to new server and don't touch NS).
    3) Fantastico! and everything connected to (installations for example) will not be transferred

Configurations, options, almost everything it's impossibile to restore to the new server, exaclty as it was on the old server:

OPS, I forgot Register Globals Off... (all the website offline)
    OPS, I put the wrong version of MySql
    OPS, It seems I have different version of Kernel OS and something goes wrong.

No please!

I just want to have exactly on the new server, and then change the IP address of the nameserver kicking off the old server from the net.

4. rustelekom

rustelekom Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

life is not dream infortunately. of course all custom settings should be setup manually. WHM can transfer only accounts. And only without any custom server settings.
    Regards nameservers just as suggestion - you can set new serverwith your old nameservers so you will don't need change anything when transfer done.
    You can also more advanced way by using rsync. I am not remmeber link but it was posted at this forum. Post regards to restoring Cpanel server from old drive but rsync can work from remote location so it is not very importnat where you run rsync.

5. phoenixweb

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was not looking for a WHM task, but linux command or procedure to perform a perfect copy (like a raid copy), in order to disconnect nameserver from the old one and connect theme to the new one.

Are you sure the only way is to transfer all the domains?

This cannot be!
    :(