The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfer account to another server : Skip DNS zone modifications!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Oriso, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Oriso

Oriso Member

Hello, we have a user which is also a reseller, due to his need to host many DNS zones not hosted on CPanel, but which he owns and which cpanel DNS is serving. He has upwards of 100 zones, configured to point to external IPs.

We are in the process of moving this account to another CPanel server, and tried to transfer account, which seems to work fine aside from one big glitch for us. The script automatically searches for ips and replaces them with the new ip for the new cpanel server.

This means we would have to either:
    a) backup all zones listed by this user, and restore them after the script does it's work
    b) find a way to bypass this DNS modification, so it copies the zones, but not searches for an replaces the ips
    c) do the transfer manually, less practical as I don't know the internals of cpanel by heart and would surely miss some steps

a) could be a long process but could work, b) saves the most time, and c) well frankly, it doesn't seem like a logical choice seeing that a transfer utility just exists.

I'm trying to figure out if I can just "comment out" the parts that do the dns changes on the restoring server, but so far, not much luck. I'm not an expert scripter so I'd appreciate if someone could help a bit and point me towards the right direction!

Thanks all!

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

if the "extra" zones are pointing to EXTERNAL IPs then why would they get changed ? also there an option in the transfer utility for express transfer. you do NOT have to select that I don't believe. It should leave the old zones intact

3. Oriso

Oriso Member

I'm afraid I don't see or know why the zones are being changed but they are, I see in the output log a.a.a.a is being replaced to b.b.b.b. c.c.c.c is being changed to b.b.b.b, d.d.d.d is being changed to b.b.b.b etc, b.b.b.b being the new internal ip of the new cpanel server.

I also just rechecked the transfer options and aside from not copying the reseller privileges, I don't see any options pertaining to what you keep in the account or not. And I do want the privileges transfered, along with the zones.

I'll try listing the files in /var/named owned by that user (found the same domain names in the /etc/valiases folder, gotta check if it's the same number of zones) and try to backup them and overwrite the files that have been transfered. as they only have a few zones to which they actually use emails, it might be faster that way.